Try this soup when you are suffering from cold and cough. Gives a great relief for throat and gives relief for the chest.
- ¼ cup Toor dal or lentils and 1 cup water for cooking
- ⅓ cup chopped coriander/cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cold processed sesame oil or any oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Turmeric powder
- 5 cups water,
- 5 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt as required
- Coriander/ cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Wash toor daal / lentil in water and add ¼ cup water in a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Cook toor daal in the pressure cooker till it becomes soft.
- Using a grinder coarse grind : ⅓ cup chopped coriander, 2 tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 or 2 green chilies, ½ inch ginger and 4 to 5 garlic cloves. Do not add water while grinding.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp sesame oil or any oil and add ½ tsp mustard seeds. Sauté till the mustard seeds start crackling.
- Add curry leaves and dry red chili. Add the ground coarse paste along with a pinch of asafetida and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Stir very well.
- Add the cooked daal, salt and 1.5 cups water. Stir well and on a low flame simmer the soup.
- Before serving add 3 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice. And garnish with few cilantro/coriander leaves.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: August 3, 2015