Both red bell pepper (red capsicum) and tomatoes are loaded with good nutrients stuff.
Bell pepper is not only an excellent source of carotenoids, but also a source of over 30 different members of the carotenoid nutrient family. A recent study from Spain took a close look vitamin C, vitamin E, and six of these carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin) in all commonly eaten foods and found that only two vegetables contained at least two-thirds of all the listed nutrients.
Tomatoes are one of the healthiest food and has several goodies in it. Tomatoes are widely known for their outstanding antioxidant content, including rich concentration of lycopene. They are rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K and Tomatoes contain all four major carotenoids: alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene.
Try this simple and easy recipe of vegetarian soup that has both these good vegetables as main ingredients.
Red bell pepper & tomato soup recipe: (preparation and cooking time : 35-40 minutes)
- Red bell peppers: 2
- Olive oil or canola oil: 2 Tsp
- Onion: 1 finely chopped
- Garlic cloves: 2, finely crushed
- Tomatoes: 8-10
- Potato – 3 inch piece (optional – add to keep consistency slightly thick)
- Ginger – Half inch
- Black pepper: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Dried parsley – 1 tsp (optional)
- White bread crumbs: Few
- Cut pepper half and remove seeds. In broiler rack place the cut pepper with skin side up and cook for few minutes until the pepper skin slightly charred.
- In large pan heat oil, add cumin seeds, onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for few minutes until onion turns golden brown.
- Remove the skin from peppers and chop the peppers.
- Cut the tomatoes to into chunks.
- Add peppers, potato piece and tomatoes to pan and add little water, cover the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and crushed pepper and boil for few more minutes. Remove pan from the stove allow it to cool.
- Transfer the cooled ingredients to a grinder or food processor – process it until you get smooth soup texture.
- Transfer content to a vessel and warm it slightly. Add dried parsley and cilantro.
- Serve adding little cream or butter of choice and white bread crumbs.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: March 11, 2016