Shivaratri day devotees fast entire day and will thrive on fruits and simple snacks. One such snack is traditional moong daal laddu. This recipe uses whole moong daal where the outer husk of the seeds will be still intact. This is a low fat laddu recipe that supplies protein, fiber and little amount of fat.
Moong daal is good for digestive system and fills the stomach with little amount. It is light and easy to digest. It helps in reducing weight and according to Ayurveda dishes made out of moong daal is a good option to reduce stubborn belly fat when eaten in right amount. It has low glycemic index (25). Vitamins: A, B Vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid) Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin K. It contains minerals: Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Copper and Manganese. They also contain skin anti-aging properties that stimulate the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin, all essential to younger healthier skin.
- Whole moong dal : 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Grated Dry coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 3 or 4
- Cashews & Raisins – Few (10 -15)
- Roast moong dal in a pan on low flame till dal turns golden brown and gives good aroma.
- Cool the roasted dal and dry grind it to a fine powder. (Alternatively, one can buy moong dal powder from the store).
- Sieve the grinded powder and collect fine powder.
- Powder the sugar and keep it aside.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp ghee and fry raisins and cashew nuts till golden color & keep aside.
- Now , take powdered sugar and add about 1/2 cup of water in a deep pan. Stir it continuously until sugar melts. It may take 3-4 mins. Test with spoon by dropping the sugar liquid from the spoon. When there is appearance of threads while pouring the liquid – syrup is ready.
- Now to sugar syrup, add moong dal powder, ghee, grated dry coconut, dry fruits and cardamom Mix all the ingredients well.
- When the mixture is warm, take a handful of the mixture and make round ball and prepare laddu. Repeat the same with rest of the mixture.
- Store laddu in air tight container & consume one or two laddus per day.
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: March 7, 2016