In India, Traditional way of getting ready to fight the cold and cough is with a homemade drink called Kashaya. Kashaya is nothing but a mixture of good herbs that we find in our kitchen. Recipe of kashaya is simple and the effect of the khashaym on our health is great. Little spicy and sweet with blended herbal flavor – kashayam removes stuffiness, relieves throat congestion. Body immune system also boosts with use of these medicinal herbs. Here is Kashaya recipe for you all.
Ingredients for Kashaya Powder
- 1 cup Coriander Seeds
- 1/3 cup Cumin Seeds
- ¼ cup Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1-2 cm Dry Ginger
Preparation of Kashaya powder
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns separately for a 1-1½ minutes on a low flame.
- Spread the roasted spices on a wide plate and let them cool down completely.
- Grind roasted spices along with dry ginger root to medium coarse powder.
- Store this aromatic Kashaya Powder in an airtight jar.
Ingredients for Kashaya drink
- 1 tsp Kashaya Powder
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 cup Water
- ½-1 tbsp Jaggery or Sugar
- A pinch of Cardamom or Turmeric Powder (Optional)
Preparation of Kashaya Drink (for one person)
- Take 1 cup of water in a container and bring it to boil.
- Once the water comes to boil, mix in 1 tsp of Kashaya powder and jaggery or sugar to taste.
- Let it boil for half a minute and mix in ¼ cup of milk along with cardamom*
- Switch off the flame and let it rest for 1 minute for the flavors to infuse.
- Strain the Kashaya through fine sieve and drink it while hot.
* While boiling kashaya one can add couple of leaves of holy Tulsi or mint leaves.