Indian traditional food- mango chitranna or mango rice is a South Indian delicacy. During mango season and Hindu new year celebrations people prepare raw mango rice as a main dish to serve for lunch.There are varieties of recipes for mango rice. Some require more than a dozen ingredients. Here one of the simplest mango recipe which is easy to prepare and delicious too !
Mango rice – Chitranna recipe (Quantity for 6 people)
1. 2 cups cooked long rice (preferable) or sona massuri rice
2. 1 large raw mango, grated
3. 1/2 teaspoon split urad dal
4. 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
5. 1 tbs peanuts
6. 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
7. 2 green chillies, slit
8. 2 sprigs curry leaves
9. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
10. 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
11. Salt to taste
• Prepare rice with little less water, so that rice should be like pulav rice or separated and too sofrt
• Spread rice in a plate and allow it to cool.
• In a wide mouth pan add oil and get ready for seasoning. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, split urad dal, peanuts and mix gently. Once the urad daal turns slightly brown and gives good aroma lower the flame and curry leaves, turmeric, green chillies and asafetida. Fry for few seconds.
• Now add the grated raw mango, salt and mix till the grated raw mango softens and wilts a little bit.
• To this above mix add cooked rice and mix all the content together for few minutes under low heat. Make sure to combine all the contents properly. Taste and add salt according to your needs.
• Garnish with fresh coriander leaves, (grated fresh coconut is an option) and serve delicious mango rice with raita, lemon pickle (no garlic pickle), pappad or potato (not spicy) chips !