Healthy methi leaves patra
Fenugreek leaves or methi leaves has slight bitter taste but is good source of several nutrients including soluble fiber. It is a good medicinal herb and when cooked tastes delicious. Methi leaves has similar health benefits as its seeds or fenugreek seeds. It helps in easy digestion, reduces gas, promotes hair health, gives good nourishment for skin etc. Methi patra (or pathrode) is a tasty dish like Colocasia patra, where Colocasia is replaced by cut methi leaves. All other ingredients are same and takes less time to prepare. It is a good snack item for diabetic patients and for those who are looking for a vegan snack.
- Methi (Fenugreek) leaves – 1 bunch
- Urad dal – 1 Tbsp
- Channa dal- 1 Tbsp
- Coriander seeds -1 Tbsp
- Rice – ¼ cup
- Grated coconut -1/2 cup
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ginger -1/2 inch
- Green chilli -2
- Red chili – 4-5
- Jaggery – little
- Tamarind – 2 inch
- Wash and soak rice, channa dal, urad dal, coriander seeds in ¾ cup water for about 3 hours.
- Grind soaked ingredients with chilli, red chilli, jaggery, tamarind, coconut, cumin seeds to a coarse paste (thicker than dosa batter) by adding little water.
- Clean. wash and cut methi leaves to small size, remove grown stem portion.
- Mix cut methi leaves with spicy batter.
- Transfer the mix to a clean banana leaf (leaves) and fold the banana leaf
- Place banana leaf containing methi masala mix in a cooker bowl and steam cook for 20 minutes
- In between open the cooker lid and check to see whether the content is cooked well.
- Remove the cooked methi patra and allow it to cool.
- In a frying pan heat 1 Tbsp oil, add mustard, curry leaves, urad dal (1/2 tsp), little turmeric and pinch of asafetida.
- Remove methi patra from banana leaf, cut into small pieces and add methi patra pieces to seasoning, miix well for few minutes.
- Remove from flame, garnish with little fresh grated coconut and little lemon juice. Serve hot methi patra with chapati, jeera rice or one can eat methi pathra as it is.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: September 26, 2019
Write a comment