Breadfruit is an attractive fruit that is tropical in origin. It is similar to jackfruit and belongs to same plant family. It gives same benefits as jackfruit -fiber, nutrients etc. It is high in protein and fruits can be as big as watermelon. Its seeds are also edible. Only difference is breadfruit is edible and tasty when it is un-ripened. In Asian countries including India, this fruit is used for preparing delicious dishes- Breadfruit sambhar, subji, chips to name a few.
- The fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as being a high source of gluten-free carbohydrate and protein.
- The protein in the fruit has a higher proportion of amino acids than soy.
- Breadfruit/Jeegujje 1
- Onion finely chopped 1 cup
- Garlic cloves 2-3
- Green chilies 3-4
- Dry red chilies 2
- Grated coconut 2 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 strand
- Tamarind lemon size
- Sambar Powder/Huli Pudi 2-3 tsp (homemade)
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
- Ajwain/Oma ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida pinch
- Peel the outer skin of Breadfruit and cut into 4 parts. Remove the inner thick part and chop into medium size pieces. Immediately place them in a large bowl of water.
- Soak tamarind in water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they crack add ajwain and cumin seeds. Add asafetida.
- Add green chilies and dry red chilies. Fry them. Add curry leaves, garlic cloves and onion. Fry them till transparent.
- Add chopped breadfruit, salt and turmeric powder mix well. Fry them for 2 minutes in medium heat. Add some water, cover the lid and cook for few minutes.
- Once the breadfruit cooked completely add sambar/huli powder, coconut and tamarind water. Cook for few minutes until all the water gets absorbed.
Breadfruit subji goes well with chapati and rice.
Recipe by: Ms. Mamatha Anil @ http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: April 12, 2017