Amla or Indian gooseberry is known for its rich nutrients and medicinal properties. It supplies vitamin C in abundant. Benefits of consuming amla is good for eye sight, hair health, reduces blood sugar, good for skin, supplies digestive fiber, cures sore throat, diuretic activity, increases metabolic activity and immune system booster. Amla is not only has medicinal properties and is a good home remedy herb, it is also used in Indian traditional cooking. Try simple yet delicious gooseberry rice. It is a good festival item in place of lemon rice.
- Rice – 2cups
- Gooseberry – 3 or 4
- Green chilli – 3
- Red chilli – 2
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Peanuts – 2 Tbs
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – Few
- Urad and Chenna daal -Each 1 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch (optional)
- Wash and cook rice – rice should not be overcooked and not sticky. Transfer rice to a plate and spread it to cool.
- Wash and grate gooseberry – remove seed.
- Take a frying vessel and add about 1 to 2 Tbs of cooking oil. Use medium heat.
- Add mustard, peanuts, urad daal, chenna daal, red chilli and fry. Add green chilli and curry leaves followed by turmeric powder and pinch of asafetida – continue frying for few more seconds.
- Turn of the heat and transfer rice to the seasoning container.
- Add grated gooseberry and salt – mix rice well on low heat. Continue to mix and heat simultaneously for couple of more minutes.
- Serve gooseberry rice as a lunch item. It can be a festival item too!
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: November 28, 2017