This is jackfruit ripening season. Delicious taste of jackfruit makes it one of the most loved seasonal fruit and people look for good ripened fruits to prepare dishes. If you are fond of jackfruit, then you must try a traditional sweet “jackfruit payasam” prepared with jaggery and coconut.
This tasty sweet recipe is not for people who has high blood sugar and not for those who is trying to reduce weight as it contains high calorie. For others -One can consume jackfruit payasam once a while, during the season and good for children.
Amount per serving : 1/2 cup ( Approximately 210 calories)
- Coconut milk, thick – 1 cup
- Cashew nuts – Few
- Raisins –Few
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Dry ginger powder – A pinch
- Jackfruit edible portion (bulbs) -10 to 12
- Jaggery powder – 1 cup
- Separate jackfruit edible portion (bulbs) and cut into small pieces and pressure cook for one whistle.
- In a vessel heat ¼ water and dissolve jaggery.
- Transfer cooked jackfruit pieces into vessel containing dissolved jaggery
- Add another cup of water. Simmer the content for 5 to 10 minutes. Contents will start thickening.
- Now add coconut milk and boil for 3-4 minutes on low heat. (you can also grind ½ cup fresh grated coconut and add to jaggery)
- Add ginger powder and cardamom powder, stir the content. Make sure heat is still low. You don’t want to burn the content.
- Melt ghee in a pan. Add cashew and raisins. Let cashew turn brown.
- Add cashew and raisin with ghee to jackfruit-jaggery mix. Continue mixing the content for another minute or two
- Jackfruit payasam is ready to serve!
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 12, 2020