Amla, Indian gooseberry is known for its rich nutrients and medicinal properties. It contains vitamin C in abundant.
Benefits of consuming amla is : It is good for eye sight, hair health, reduces blood sugar, good for skin, supplies digestive fiber, cures sore throat, has diuretic activity, increases metabolic activity and it is an immune system booster.
Gooseberry also has culinary properties and many traditional dishes are prepared using amla. Today we are presenting a delicious traditional recipe “gooseberry or amla thokku”. It is a variety of chutney and goes well as a side dish with several main dishes like dosa, rice, roti etc.
- Indian gooseberry – 10
- Green chillis – About 15
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – As per your taste
- Asafetida – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- For seasoning:
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli – 1 or 2 broken
- Wash gooseberries and dry them on a paper towel. There should not be any water content left.
- Grate or cut gooseberries into small pieces. Discard seeds
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds and prepare powder.
- Add all ingredients – green chilli, asafetida, salt, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and grated gooseberry into grinder and prepare spicy gooseberry paste. Do not add water.
- Heat oil on a seasoning pan, add mustard, curry leaves and red chilli – prepare seasoning.
- After cooling add seasoning to gooseberry paste. Mix well.
- Transfer spicy, gooseberry tokku to a clean, dry jar and store in refrigerator.
Gooseberry tokku can be mixed with rice and ghee, idli, dosa, chapatti. When you prepare lemon rice add little gooseberry tokku to enhance the taste.
Published by: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 3, 2018