During winter time we hesitate to consume curd. Curd is nutritious and is good for our gut. There are different ways to consume curd or yogurt. Dahi bhindi is a recipe where tender bhindi or okra is cooked in spiced curd mix. Curd is heated with Indian spices and besan flour to get a gravy on medium or low heat. This will not spoil the curd texture and as it mixes with spices it tastes good! Bhindi is a favorite subji or vegetable of many as it provides good health benefits including diabetic condition. Try dahi bhindi with hot puris.
- Okra/Bhindi: Half Kg
- Cumin: ½ tsp
- Mustard: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Asafetida: 2 pinches
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Curd / dahi: 1 cup
- Salt: as per taste
- Gram flour: 1 Tbsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Red chilli -1
- Cooking oil: for seasoning
- Wash and dry okra/bhindi on a paper towel to remove water.
- Cut okra to one-inch pieces
- Heat oil on medium heat and stir fry okra for 5-8 minutes till pieces turn tender. Transfer tender bhindi to a plate
- In frying pan, add besan flour and fry for a minute to get golden brown color.
- Heat oil for seasoning and to prepare gravy. Add cumin, mustard, curry leaves, 1 red chilli and asafetida and prepare seasoning.
- Add fried besan flour to seasoning followed by curd, turmeric, coriander, and chili powder. Mix the contents for about 3 minutes or till the oil start separating the mix.
- Add half a cup of water and salt to spice mix and bring it to one boil. Now add tender bhindi and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes on low heat.
Prepare puri and serve hot puri with hot dahi bhindi for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 28, 2018