Peas are rich source of protein and can replace meat. Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus, and folate. Potatoes are of course, rich in carbohydrates and a staple food. The following recipe is a protein and carbohydrate rich curry goes well with Indian naan, bread or chapatti. It also contains curd (yogurt) as one of the main ingredients and adds more flavor. Yogurt helps in the easy digestion of other ingredients & is a natural probiotic.
- 2-3 Medium sized potatoes
- 250 Grams peas (frozen or fresh)
- 2- Finely chopped onions (medium size)
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 2 Green chillis and 1 red chilli
- 350 ml Yogurt or curd
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 5 tsp curry powder (see recipe below)
- Turmeric powder
- Lime juice – 2 tsp
- 1 cup finely chopped coriander leaves with stalks
- Vegetable oil
- Curry powder recipe: Add following ingredients and dry fry them on medium heat. After cooling, powder the ingredients. Store the powder in an air tight container for future use.
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds + 1 tbsp cumin seeds + 4 inches of cinnamon stick +10 whole cardamom pods +1 tbsp fenugreek +1 tsp whole black pepper + 5 – 6 long red mild chillies + 12 curry leaves +2 tbsp turmeric powder.
- Steam cook potatoes. Remove the skin and cut each potatoes into 4 – 5 pieces (not too large )
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan.
- Add chopped onions, peas and sauté for 10-12 minutes under medium heat.
- Add chillis, ginger and sauté for few more minutes.
- Now turn the heat to low and add freshly prepared curry powder and mix.
- Add potatoes, lime juice, and mix well.
- Now beat the curd so that there should not be any clumps and add curd, coriander leaves with chopped stalks.
- Simmer slowly for 10-15 minutes under low heat. The curry sauce needs to reduce its quantity a bit and consistency becomes slightly thick.
- Take out from the flame, garnish with coriander leaves and serve pea -potato curry with Indian naan, bread or chapatti.
Images Courtesy: Google