Besan flour is nothing but chickpea flour. It is naturally higher in protein than wheat-based flours. It also stands above wheat flour in protein and folate content. One-half cup contains 10 grams of protein, compared to 8 grams in whole-grain wheat flour and just 6 grams in white flour. One-half cup of besan flour has 178 calories and 3 grams of total fat. also offer a good array of vitamins and minerals. Studies say that besan flour helps in reducing body inflammation and is also a good support for glowing skin – it is good facial mask. Besan flour does not contain gluten, so it makes a good substitute for wheat flour in gluten-free diets.
Try this simple and easy to make dosa (pancake) recipe at home for evening snack.
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- Chopped ginger: 1 inch
- Water 1/2 to 1 cup
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – one tsp
- Baking soda: 2 pinches
- Green chilli (chopped) 2
- Onion medium size – 1
- Tomato medium size -1
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Curry leaves chopped
- Coconut milk – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for drizzling
- To make the batter, remove the lumps from chickpea flour.
- To flour add asafetida, turmeric powder, baking soda, onion, tomato, green chilies, coriander leaves, curry leaves and salt. Mix well.
- If you are using coconut milk then, add coconut milk and water then mix well again. Do not make very thin batter.
- When the dosa tava is hot enough, pour a half cup of batter on tava and using a ladle spread evenly into a round pancake shape.
- Drizzle oil along the edges of the pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes, on medium heat till the bottom is golden brown. Tilt and cook other side of the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot along with coconut or green chutney.
- Recipe: www.werindia.com
- Image: Google images
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: June 6, 2017