Breadfruit is a tropical fruit and available in many countries including India, Central America and parts of US. It belongs to jackfruit family and fruit texture resembles jackfruit except it is small in size. It is fibrous and it tastes like plantain and potato! It is a versatile fruit can be roasted, baked, fried, boiled to make varieties of delicious recipes. It is gluten free and contains sources dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, Vitamin A and C and is high in carbohydrates. In recent days, breadfruit gluten free flour is gaining popularity.
If you find breadfruit in local store, try preparing breadfruit vegan cutlets.
- ½- breadfruit steamed/boiled and mashed
- 1 -small onion, diced
- 5- scallion leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup – chopped cilantro
- 2- green chilli
- 1 tsp – cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Pinch of asafetida
- Little red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Chickpea flour – 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil
- Steam cook breadfruit pieces in a pressure cooker. Allow it cool and smash the pieces
- Mix smashed breadfruit with cilantro, chopped onion, scallion leaves, chopped green chilli, cumin, asafetida, curry leaves, chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala powder followed by chickpea flour. Add salt as per your taste. Mix well.
- Prepare small patties using the above mix.
- Place a tava on medium heat. Place patties on the tava and put little oil on each patties. Cook them till both sides turn golden brown.
- Serve hot breadfruit patties with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- One can deep fry the breadfruit patties. Since it takes too much oil, healthy way to is to use less oil and cook patties on tava using very little oil.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 20, 2020