Veggie kofta is a popular dish in India. Koftas are simmered in heavy creamy curry and coconut milk or regular milk. Malai kofta is a very popular kofta variety that contains potato, cream and masala. By replacing some portion of potato with beet root we can prepare delicious beet root kofta. Some people feel beetroot is a boring vegetable as it is used mostly in salad, juice and curry dishes. Beet root supplies tons of good ingredients and is rich in fiber. It contains about 85 % water and rest carbohydrates and protein. In addition, it is a good source of folate, nitrates, manganese and dietary fibers. It reduces body inflammation, keeps blood pressure under control, supports brain health and good for weight loss ( not recommended for diabetic conditions).
Try beetroot kofta
Ingredients for curry
- Tomatoes – 5
- Garlic cloves – 3, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chili – 2 or 3
- Cardamom – 4
- Pepper coarse- ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Coconut milk -1/4 cup (or regular milk)
- Heavy cream – 2 Tbsp
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Kasuri methi – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 2 cups
- Ginger garlic and green chili paste – 3 tsp
- Grated beetroot – ½ cup
- Carrot – 2 grated
- Boiled potato – 2
- Cashews – 4 or 5 – cut into small pieces
- Raisins- 1 Tbsp
- Spring onions – 2 or 3
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Cardamom powder – pinch
- Garam masala – ½ rsp
- Corn starch – 1 Tbsp
- Cilanto – ¼ cup
- Grate the beets and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat – add ginger garlic chii paste and sauté for few minutes. Add cut spring onion and sauté for a minute. Add grated beet and mix well.
- Mash boiled potatoes, grate carrot and add both to beet mix. Add salt and continue mixing.
- Now add, all masala powders – garam masala, cumin juice, chopped cashew, raisins and lemon juice.
- Add corn starch and mix well. If needed add little more starch.
- Prepare kofta balls – oval or round shape
- Heat oil in deep frying pan, drop kofta balls in heated oil and fry till they turn golden brown. Remove and drain the oil by placing beet root kofta on paper towel. Keep koftas aside.
Preparing gravy curry:
- In pan, heat little oil and add cut tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green cardamom (or you can add cardamom powder instead), coarse pepper and cut green chili. Add 2 or 3 cups water and let it simmer for few minutes or until tomato turns soft.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder and garam masala – continue boiling for 5 more minutes.
- Add butter coconut milk and heavy cream – allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add kasuri methi, honey, salt and mix the curry. Remove from heat.
Final step: Before serving, transfer beet root kofta to gravy and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot beet root kofta curry with roti, naan, Basmati rice or chapati.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 12, 2019