Basmati rice is a variety of rice with slender, long look and has a good aroma. India is leading the export of Basmati (means fragrant in sanskrit) rice and it is preferred rice in restaurants and houses. It is used in making various varieties of rice dishes -pulav, tomato bath, vegetable rice, lemon rice, coconut rice etc. Varieties of rice pudding are also popular that can be prepared using Basmati rice. Basmati rice is believed to have been cultivated in the Indian Subcontinent for centuries and now many countries grow Basmati for its fragrance.
Nutritional facts: Basmati is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol. Basmati has a low to medium glycaemic index, meaning that energy is released at a slower, steadier rate leading to a more balanced level of energy.
Ghee rice is popular South Indian traditional rice which contains Basmati rice as the main ingredient. Try this delicious and easy recipe for lunch, dinner or for a party.
1. 1 cup basmati rice
2. 3 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
3. 15 to 18 cashews
4. 1 tablespoon raisins
5. 50 grams onion sliced thin
6. Two cups water
7. Salt as per your taste
8. Whole spices or Indian garam masala
9. 5 inches cinnamon
10. 3 cardamoms
11. 3 cloves
12. 4 to 5 black peppers
13. One bay leaf (tej patta )
14. 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
15. Grated carrot , finely chopped tomato- 1/4 cup
1. Rinse basmati rice and soak for 15 minutes
2. Heat ghee (clarified butter) under low flame.
3. Add cashews and saute it till it turns light brown. Add raisins and saute till the puff up
4. Now, add whole spice (gharam masala) and add the sliced onion. Stir it till it turns golden brown. Add cardamom, cloves, black peppers.
5. Add soaked rice to the above seasoning and stir it so that ghee coats the rice.
6. Add water and salt. If bay leaf is available, add that too. Cover the lid.
7. Simmer the rice until it cooks and gives aroma. In between check to make sure rice is cooking and enough water is there in the pan.
8. Once rice is cooked, remove it from the stove.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro, grated carrot and tomato, and serve hot with Indian dal (lentil soup) or any other vegetable curry of your choice.
- Recipe: www.werindia.com
- Basmati information: www.tilda.com