Yes, it is little bitter but has wonderful medicinal properties and very nutritious too. We are talking about another wonderful and friendly herb here – Fenugreek or Methi. Leaves, stems and seeds of this plant has magical benefits. It is a very good vegetable and has been in use from centuries. Ayurveda mentions the use of this plant in controlling various conditions.
- Lowers blood cholesterol: It contains saponins that prevent absorption of fats that are responsible for buildup of cholesterol.
- Good friend of heart: Presence of Galactomannan and potassium makes it a friend of heart.
- Controls blood sugar level: It also contains amino acid responsible for inducing the production of insulin.
- Helps digestion: It contains fiber and antioxidants that helps to remove toxic waste from the body.
- Lose weight: Chewing soaked methi seeds in the morning on an empty stomach help in suppressing the appetite and aids in weight loss.
- Increases breast milk: The presence of diosgenin in methi increases milk production in lactating mothers.
- For menstrual discomfort: Fenugreek contains compounds like diosgenin and isoflavones with oestrogen-like properties which help reduce symptoms like discomfort and menstrual cramps and other symptoms associated with PMS.
- For hair problems: Using fenugreek as a part of diet or seed paste applied on hair occasionally turns hair shiny and black.
Try this tasty Methi rice at home and get all healthy and nutritious benefit of this wonderful herb.
- Fenugreek leaves : 1 cup
- Basmati Rice : 2 cup
- Chopped onion :1/2 cup
- Chopped ginger: 1 tsp
- Garlic chopped: 2 cloves
- Cumin seeds :1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
- Green chilli:2 to 3
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice :1 tsp
- Green peas: 1/2 cup
- Butter or oil or ghee: 2 Tbsp
- Heat oil/butter or ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds , green chilli and ginger pieces. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and green peas -fry again.
- Now add well washed fenugreek leaves and basmati rice, sauté for few more minutes.
- After sautéing add 4 cup water, salt, garam masala and mix the ingredients.
- Close the lid and allow it to cook. Cook the rice for few minutes, Open the lid and make sure the rice is cooked properly – it should not over cook.
- Once rice cooked, remove from flame. Add lemon juice to Methi rice and serve hot with raita of your choice or with pickle.
Recipe source: www.WerIndia.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: January 2, 2016