Treatment for Common Ailments
Information mentioned below :
Top 10 home remedies suggests the following ten remedies for constipation
Lemons, or more specifically the juice from lemons, can treat constipation as it stimulates the digestive system and gets things moving . This is one of the simplest and most effective treatments that you can try at home.
- Extract the juice of half a lemon and add it to a glass of warm water. You can also add a pinch of rock salt or one-half teaspoon of table salt and a little honey to it.
- Drink the lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also drink a glass of this solution in the evening.
- Follow this remedy daily and expect results within a few days.
Fennel seeds are useful in treating issues like indigestion, bloating, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome as they encourage smooth muscle movement in the digestive tract.
- Take one cup of fennel seeds and dry roast them.
- Then, grind them and sieve the mixture.
- Store this tasty and digestive powder in a jar.
- Take half a teaspoon of this powder daily with warm water.
Figs are very high in fiber and act as a natural laxative. Those suffering from chronic constipation should include figs in their diet. For the treatment of constipation, both fresh and dried figs can be used. When fresh figs are available, eat them with their skin on. The skin contains most of the fiber and calcium.
- Take two to three almonds and dried figs.
- Soak them in water for a few hours.
- Peel the almonds and grind the ingredients.
- Take this paste with one tablespoon of honey at night.
d. Castor Oil
Being a stimulant laxative, castor oil stimulates the small and large intestines and improves the bowel movement. Simply swallow one to two teaspoons of castor oil on an empty stomach. To improve the taste, you can take it with a fruit juice.
Within a few hours, you will notice a huge improvement in your condition. You must not repeat this remedy for a prolonged period as it can cause side effects.
Honey is highly beneficial in relieving constipation as it acts as a mild laxative. You can have it daily to prevent as well as treat constipation.
- Consume two teaspoons of honey three times a day.
- You can also mix one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
f. Flax Seed
Flax seed has many medicinal properties along with tons of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, flaxseed has a laxative property, which can be very useful in curing mild to very serious cases of constipation.
- Mix one tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of water and allow it to rest for two to three hours. Drink the water daily before going to bed. In the morning, your bowel movement will be much better.
- Alternatively, you can simply eat two to three tablespoons of ground flax seed with a glass of water.
Grapes contain insoluble fiber that helps produce regular bowel movements.
- Eat a small bowl of grapes or half a glass of fresh grape juice daily.
- Another option is put 10 to 12 dry seedless grapes in milk, boil it for a few minutes and drink the solution in the evening. This particular remedy works great for young children who have constipation and to prevent future episodes of it.
If fresh grapes are not available, then eat raisins soaked in water for a day or two. You must eat the soaked raisins along with water on an empty stomach in the morning.
Spinach is really good for the digestive tract, especially when you are suffering from constipation. Raw spinach has various components that can cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the whole intestinal tract.
- To get rid of constipation, you must include spinach in your diet. You can eat it either raw or cooked, depending on how you like it.
- If you have severe constipation, drink a mixture of one-half glass of raw spinach juice and one-half glass of water, twice daily. Within a few days, you will get much relief.
Molasses is one of the best natural laxatives to get your bowels moving.
- Eat one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses before going to bed. If you do not like the taste, you can mix it with milk, fruit juice or prune juice. If the problem persists, increase the dosage to one to two tablespoons.
- Another remedy is to mix two to three tablespoons of molasses with an equal amount of peanut butter and eat it in the morning.
As molasses contains high calories, you must not follow these remedies on a daily basis.
j. Water and Fiber
Most often, the cause of constipation is lack of fiber in the diet. Fiber is a kind of material that binds to water in the intestine. This adds volume to the stool and the water softens the stool.
It is essential to eat high-fiber foods like beans, potatoes, carrots, brown rice, prunes, wheat germ, fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, all kinds of nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, broccoli, peas, and so on. You can also opt for fiber supplements.
Also, when suffering from constipation, it is very important to drink enough fluids. Make sure to drink about eight to 10 glasses of water daily.
For best results, put water in a copper vessel overnight and drink it first thing in the morning. This will stimulate bowel movements and give you good results within a few days.
Along with water, you can also drink fresh vegetable juice and fruit juice throughout the day. Avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeine as both cause dehydration and can make your condition worse.
Remember that you need to follow the remedies for some time to find out which suits you best. If, however, the problem is not solved with these natural treatments, contact your doctor.
2. Cold & Cough :
Common cold may sometimes be due to weak digestion. When the food we eat is not fully digested, it transforms into mucus known as ama (toxin). This circulates through the body and reaches the respiratory system, where it causes colds.
Cold food and drinks, ice creams, sweets, fried food and milk products (cheese, creams, yogurt) should not be consumed. Sweet fruit juices should also be avoided. Breads, meats, nuts and pastries are also not good to take.
Natural home remedy using milk, turmeric powder and black pepper powder :
1. Take 1 glass of warm milk
2. Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder
3. Add 1 tsp of black pepper powder
4. Mix well
5. Drink 2 times everyday
Natural home remedy using carom seeds:
1. Crush 1 tbsp carom seeds
2. Put 1 tsp of this powder in a clean cloth
3. Tie the cloth in a bundle
4. Hold this bundle close to your nose and inhale
Natural home remedy using ladyfingers :
1.Take 100 gm ladyfingers or okra
2. Cut them into small pieces
3. Add them to ½ L hot water
4. Heat for 10-15 min
5. Inhale the steam coming from the mixture
Other remedies :
- Take ½ teaspoon of ginger powder with 1 teaspoon of honey. Black pepper can also be added.
- Chewing a piece of fresh ginger with a little salt on it will ease coughs.
- Half a cup of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey can be taken several times a day.
- Equal quantities of powdered fenugreek seeds, turmeric and ginger powder can be mixed together. One teaspoon can be taken in the morning and evening.
- In cases of a sore throat, a clove or two cardamoms or a few raisins can be chewed.
- Gargling with warm salty water is also beneficial. This can be done two or three times a day.
- Take three or four times daily at the most a tea made from one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, seven black peppercorns and one teaspoon of fresh minced ginger, which were boiled in two cups of water until one cup remains. Black tea may be added, as may sugar.
- Eat us much as possible, but avoid sour foods, cold foods and cold liquids, radishes.
- Sit facing the fire as much as possible.
- Keep the body well covered from throat to thighs
Indigestion can happen for various reasons- anxiety, over eating, certain antibiotics, too much fiber containing food consumption, eating old food, gastritis, too much spicy food etc.
Remedies for regular indigestions:
Natural home remedy using cumin seeds:
1. Take 2 tbsp cumin seeds
2. Add it to 4½ cups of water
3. Boil for 5 min
4. Allow it to cool
5. Strain the mixture
6. Drink everyday
Natural home remedy using lemon juice and honey:
1. Take 1 glass warm water
2. Add 1 tsp lemon juice
3. Add 1 tsp honey
4. Mix well
5. Drink after each meal
Natural home remedy using coriander leaves, buttermilk and cardamom powder:
1. Crush a few coriander leaves
2. Press them in a sieve
3. Extract juice
4. Mix 1 tbsp yogurt in 1 cup water
5. Add 1 tsp salt and make buttermilk
6. Add 3 tsp of coriander juice to it
7. Add ½ tsp of cardamom powder to it
8. Drink 1 hr after every meal
Curd or yogurt drink:
- Add the yogurt in your cup of water.
- Add salt and mix well to get a buttermilk type of drink.
- Crush the coriander leaves and place them on sieve, then press to extract out their juice.
- Add 3 tsp of this coriander leaves juice to your yogurt-water mix.
- Add cardamom powder to this and mix well.
- Have this excellent probiotic drink one hour after each of your meals.
Rice Tea for Stomach Ache due to Indigestion
If your stomach ache is due to indigestion and you also suffer from diarrhea at the same time, you may consider using rice in various forms for alleviating your stomach problems. This is called rice tea, is actually the left out water we get after cooking the rice. This rice water acts as a demulcent by reducing inflammation as it creates a barrier over a membrane, the lining of your stomach.
Fennel seeds for stomach ache
- Chew half to one teaspoon of fennel seeds after your meals. Do this at least when you eat heavy, spicy, oily food.
- Make fennel tea to get relief from stomach ache as well as cramps. Put 1 tsp of fennel seeds in a cup and pour hot water over it. Cover and let steep for 8-10 minutes. Strain and have this digestive tea thrice a day.
- You can even have raw fennel instead of fennel seeds. Take a fresh slice of raw fennel bulb and chew this after meals.
- Tea drinking helps to control the indigestion.
- Eat jaggery after every meal
- Drinking warm water by adding little asafetida (hing) and salt helps in control indigestion and stomach ache
- Drink warm water by adding few drops of lemon juice
- You should take light food.
- Do fasting for 24 hours and then take to easily digestible food.
- Fats and condiments must be avoided
- Bland food, mostly vegetables should be consumed either boiled or steamed.
- Eat juicy fruits
- Consume buttermilk
- Take hot and cold compression to the abdomen for 15-20 minutes twice in the day, either on an empty stomach or two to three hours after meals.
- Do vigorous exercise to increase the body heat. Brisk walk 30 minutes daily.
- Avoid lentils which are not easy to digest.
- Take adequate quantities of water.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco
- Avoid red meat, if wish to take chicken/fish free from fat.
- Take one teaspoon for fresh grape wine 30 minutes before meals.
- Fast on lemon juice and water
- Take a small amount of fresh pineapple after meals
4. Hair care:
1. Wash hair using shikakai powder or shampoo
2. Regular oil massage: Use sessame oil, coconut oil or castor oil – warm the oil and massage your hair and scalp using these oil
3. Add few fresh curry leaves to sessame oil or coconut oil or olive oil and warm the oil so that the green chlorophyll releases to oil. Apply this oil alternate days to hair
4. Boil sessame oil by adding brahmi, curry leaves, doorva (Cynodon dactylon) leaves. Cool and filter the oil. Apply this to hair message. Leave for few hours and have head bath
5. Apply onion juice and leave it for few minutes and wash the hair.
6. Always use slightly warm water to wash the hair. Do not use very hot, hot or very cold water to wash hair
7. Eat lots of green vegetables -amaranthus, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, khel.
8. Wash hair twice every week.
- Make a paste of shikakai, soap nut and gooseberry powder. Use this as shampoo for hair wash
10. Use un fragranced hair oils: Almond, olive, avocado, coconut, etc to keep hair healthy and shiny
11. Methi is a commonly used herb in our households, an excellent remedy for hair growth. Grind some slightly dry roasted methi, make a paste of it in warm water depending on hair length and keep it on for 20 minutes before washing off.
12. Better known as Amla or Amlaki, this ayurvedic solution for hair fall helps in treating indigestion and purifies the blood. It is also rich in Vitamin C, which solves many hair problems from within. Grab dried /powdered Amla has to be mixed with warm water and used on the scalp to promote thick and black hair. It also imparts color and solves other problems.
13. Aloe Vera has proven usage in Ayurveda, as it help keep your system clean from within. Ensure that you drink or swallow 2 tbsp of the latex of the leaf to increase your metabolism and also get good bowel movements. Wash hair using Aloe vera juice. (Remember, excess amount can lead to diarrhea).
14. Avoid combing the hair when it is wet, as the hair is said to be more prone for breakage.
15. To remove dandruff: Mix 1 cup of warm water with 3 tablespoons of salt and massage well into the scalp for at least five minutes, rinse thoroughly. Repeat daily until the dandruff disappears.
16. To remove dandruff you can apply a thick coating of plain yoghurt to your scalp, cover with a warm towel, leave for 20 minutes and then rinse.
Using the Ordinary Onion
- Wash your face with water and wipe with a raw onion. Repeat 3 times a day.
- This could be a bit smelly, so try to leave on for as long as you can possibly bear it, before washing with your choice of good smelling face wash.
- Go a step further and mix a half teaspoon of Epsom Salts in your face wash.
- Sulfur is a mineral found in onions which is reputed to be excellent for the skin. Onions also contain a flavenoid called Quercetin, which is one of nature’s own antioxidants. It is also a natural anti-histamine as well as being one of nature’s natural anti-inflammatories.
- Epsom salts are made of the mineral magnesium sulphate which draws toxins from the body. Epsom Salts is an excellent emollient (softens and smooths the skin),and also an exfoliator (removes dead cells from the surface of the skin).
Honey and Cinnamon paste as an Excellent Home Treatment for Acne.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of honey, and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a paste and rub into your face. Relax and leave on for at least a half hour. Rinse your face.
- Try this for 2 weeks and just wait and see what happens.
- Cinnamon and honey have been used through the centuries as acne home remedies as well as for for healing and improving skin in general.
- Honey contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and cinnamon has anti-microbial and antioxidant properties which all help in controlling acne.
Using Lemon Juice to help prevent Acne Naturally.
Cleanse face with water and dry off, use some swabs dabbed liberally in lemon juice to sponge your face.
Repeat this action 3 times a day and particularly before going to bed.
- lemons are an excellent source of vitamin c which helps reduce the damage toxins do to the cells and is also a detox which helps remove toxins from the body.
- Mix a heaped tablespoon of Epsom salts, a tablespoon of Cream of tartar and a pint of boiling water.
- Allow to cool and take a table spoon every morning before your breakfast.
Using Epsom Salts and Cream of Tartar.
- Epsom salts are made of the mineral magnesium sulphate which draws toxins from the body. It is an excellent emollient (softens and smooths the skin),and also an exfoliator when used in your face wash.
- Cream of Tartar is a by-product of the wine industry and is the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate.
- Potassium helps lower uric acid in the blood which then ensures that waste is not purged through the skin, but rather through the kidneys.
Using neem leaves and neem soap:
Neem has natural antibiotic property and controls bacterial growth.
Diabetes Mellitus is a wide spread chronic disease that has been plaguing the life of many in today’s world. There are many medicaments for treating the disease, which are to be taken lifelong but none of them are 100 per cent effective. In fact, all these medicaments including insulin injections are regarded as various methods of diabetes management and not cure. In Ayurveda, there are many herbs that are proven beneficial in treating diabetes. These herbal treatments when taken regularly with insulin injections are helps in treating diabetes mellitus quite effectively.
Gymnema – this is a common herb useful in treating both type 1 and 2 Diabetes. Gymnema stimulates the Pancreatic cells to produce more insulin.
Fenugreek – this ancient spice reduces cholesterol, blood glucose level, insulin levels, and triglycerides, apart from increasing the good cholesterol levels in blood.
Bitter guard or bitter melon- it contains polypeptide-P and a insulin-like polypeptide, which when injected into a type 1 diabetic patient, helps in lowering blood sugar levels.
Bilberry – the leaves and fruits of the bilberry herb carry a molecule called flavonoids, which strengthen the capillaries and prevents their damage.
Asian Ginseng – this herb stimulates the pancreas to release more insulin, and also increases the number of insulin receptors in the body.
7. Acid reflux:
Acid reflux or heartburn is caused due to excessive acid build up in the body results in burning sensation in the chest, sore throat, sour taste in the mouth. The gastric glands produce acids, which help break down food during digestion. Excessive acid leads to acidity.
The other reasons for acid reflux are:
• Excessive smoking
• Consumption of alcohol
• Erratic eating times
• Consumption of spicy and fried foods
1. Grind 2 cardamom
2. Add 250 ml water
3. Boil the mixture for 15 min
4. Sieve and drink the water
1. Chew 5-6 basil leaves after meals
1. Chew a clove to lessen the discomfort
1. Drink a glass of chilled milk
When you have acid reflux
• Avoid foods with spices, mustard, vinegar or wine, chilli, pepper
• Avoid tomato sauce and carbonated drinks
• Avoid caffeinated drinks like tea or coffee
Allergies occur when the immune system reacts abnormally to certain stimuli and these stimuli are referred to as allergens. Reaction to allergens vary in individuals and can cause hives, rashes and anaphylactic attack.
Three types of allergies
1. Respiratory allergies which lead to: Asthma, Sneezing, Coughing, Watering of eyes and nose
2. Food allergies which lead to: Diarrhea, flulence, eczema, skin rashes, swelling of throat
3. Contact allergies which cause: Itching inflammation, burning sensation, blisters
Causes for allergy:
• The Immune system incorrectly perceives some substances as a threat
• Respiratory allergies are caused by airborne allergens like dust, pollen, etc
• Food allergy is are caused as an adverse reaction to certain food items
• Contact allergy is caused by skin’s reaction to some metals, fragrances or latex
Using carrot juice, beetroot juice and cucumber juice:
1. Take 250 ml carrot juice
2. Add 100 ml beetroot juice
3. Add 100 ml cucumber juice
4. Mix well
5. Have once everyday
6. This helps reduce allergic reaction and soothes existing allergies
Using lemon and honey:
Lemon helps flush toxins from the body. It is an antibiotic and has anti-allergic properties
1. Take 1 glass lukewarm water
2. Squeeze ½ lemon in it
3. Add 1 tsp honey
4. Mix well
5. Drink on an empty stomach
9. Sleep disorders:
Natural home remedy using milk and honey:
1. Take 1 glass of milk
2. Add 1 tsp of honey
3. Drink every night before bedtime
4. This works as a tonic and a natural tranquilliser
5. Natural home remedy using aniseed and milk:
6. Take ½ L of water
7. Add 1 tsp of aniseed
8. Heat the mixture for 15 min
9. Strain the mixture
10. Drink the liquid when it’s hot
• You may add hot milk or honey to improve taste
• Consume at bedtime
Natural home remedy using honey:
1. Take 1 glass of water
2. Mix 2 tsp of honey
3. Mix well
4. Drink before bedtime
B. Snoring: Snoring can happen during sleep, muscles in the mouth relax and at times, the tongue falls back. This obstructs the passage of air which leads to sound call snoring. External factors that may cause this problem are physical exertion, consuming alcohol, certain medicines
Using clarified butter or brahmi oil:
1. Put 2 drops lukewarm clarified butter in each nostril
2. Do this once every morning and every night at bedtime
3. Brahmi oil, a common ayurvedic herb, can be used instead of clarified butter
Using cardamom powder:
1. Take 1 glass warm water
2. Crush some cardamom seeds to get ½ tsp cardamom powder
3. Add it to the water
4. Mix well
5. Consume every day at bedtime
Using milk and turmeric powder:
1. Take 1 cup warm milk
2. Add 2 tsp turmeric powder
3. Consume every day at bedtime
C. Sleep apnea: Sleep apnea is a condition in which one stops breathing briefly, while asleep and it occurs due to a blockage in the respiratory tract
Symptoms: Bad sleep, waking up gasping for breath, snoring, dry throat, headache
Using black pepper and honey:
1. Black pepper is useful in treating respiratory blockages
2. Take 1 glass hot water
3. Add 1 tsp black pepper powder
4. Add 1 tsp honey
5. Mix well
6. Sip it hot before sleeping
Using cinnamon powder:
1. Take 3 tsp cinnamon powder
2. Add to 1 glass hot water
3. Mix well
4. Drink once during the day
Using cinnamon powder:
1. Take 3 tsp cinnamon powder
2. Add 1 tsp water and make paste
3. Apply on the forehead and chest
4. This helps open blocked passages
10. Beauty care:
Aloe vera: The gel of this plant is very useful for skin and hair care.
Neem (Margosa): A natural anti-parasitic and detoxification herb, it is used for skin ailments.
Turmeric: Turmeric paste applied all over the face give a glowing skin.
Hibiscus: You can make a shampoo using the flower and leaves. Powder them and mixed with water. This has amazing cleansing properties.
Henna: A well known herb increasing hair growth and maintaining hair health.
Shikakai: For hair growth and shine
Lemon juice: Applying to hair with little oil to remove dandruff
Cucumber: To remove dark circles below eyes
11. Skin care:
For Normal Skin Type:
-Take half an orange’s or tomato’s juice and mix it well with around two teaspoonfuls of curd. Now, apply this smooth solution onto your face in an upward motion. Let it dry for a while and then rinse it off with cold water. Wipe it dry and you’ll be ready with a glowing and healthy looking skin within a span of few minutes.
-Papaya is extremely healthy for all kinds of skin type. Just rub the inner part of papaya onto the face and rinse it off after a couple of minutes. This would render an instant glow on your skin.
-Another herbal beauty tip for preventing wrinkles and tightening the skin is application of cabbage juice on face. Extract the juice of 50 grams of cabbage by grinding it. Apply this liquid extract on your face and rinse it off after a while. You can easily witness the positive results on skin.
-Apple being a natural skin cleanser, can be used for cleaning the skin. The inner part of apple peels can be rubbed onto the skin for cleaning it. The skin would be tightened as well as cleaned with this small activity.
For Oily Skin Type :
-A solution made up of two teaspoonfuls of cucumber juice with similar amount of raw milk and few lemon drops can work well on oily skin. Just apply this solution on face using a cotton ball and you will invariably find your skin with a glowing tinge.
-To get rid of oil and blackheads from skin, use fenugreek (methi) seed’s paste on the skin. Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind it into a smooth paste. Apply this paste on face and wash it off with cool water. A fair and glowing skin minus oil and blackheads is what you will get. Alternatively, one can also use red gram instead of fenugreek.
For Dry Skin Type:
-People with dry skin can try applying banana and honey mixture on the face. A ripe banana mashed into a teaspoon of honey is considered as one of the best home remedies for glowing skin.
-Soak poppy seeds in water overnight and then grind these seeds with a bit of milk to form a paste. Apply this paste on face and wash it off after a while. You will witness a supple and hydrated skin.
-A herbal paste made up of, one teaspoonful of cream or malai mixed with four or five drops of olive oil and a pinch of turmeric works well for dry skin.