Deepavali or Diwali festival means not only lighting lamps, also burning crackers. Once a year people celebrate festival by burning crackers, which symbolizes victory over evil. There are many types of crackers available in the market. Once lit, these crackers exhibit fire in different artistic ways. Watching fire cracker burning is fun. However while lighting cracker one must be careful not to get hurt. This year celebrate Diwali whole heartedly and let us pledge to fight the Covid-19 pandemic together by means of vaccination and taking all necessary precautions.
Kids and adults both love to burn crackers. Not just the sound, the variety of fireworks attracts everybody. It is fun burning crackers during festival or any other occasions -however, keep in mind that one need to be extra careful while playing with crackers. Safety is very important, as you will be playing with fire. From this month on wards for next few weeks we get several occasions to lit the crackers. Be safe while lighting and burning crackers. Here are few safety tips to keep in mind while playing with crackers
- Buy fireworks only from licensed shop
- Do not store the fireworks inside the house. Instead, store in garage inside a closed box
- Keep fireworks away from the reach of toddlers
- Read all instructions carefully and follow the safety precautions on the labels
- Always burst the crackers in open places like play ground.
- Do not burn crackers near dry grass field or dry crop field as dry plant material can catch fire within a second.
- Stand about an arm length away from the cracker while igniting them
- Wear safety glasses if you should
- Do not wear linen material cloths or cloth materials that easily catch fire. Instead, use thick cotton cloths
- Do not wear very lose cloth while burning crackers.
- If you have long hair – girls especially – tie the hair and put a knot.
- Discard used fireworks in a drum of water and make sure the fire is gone
- Keep water and blankets ready in case of emergency fire break out
- While igniting aerial fireworks like rockets keep them facing away from you and the crowd or facing the window or door.
- Wear proper footwear while lighting fireworks.
- Do not force anyone to fire the crackers. If they are uncomfortable in igniting crackers leave them. Remember -watching the burning crackers also fun
- Put your vehicles in garage and close the garage door.
- Do not let children to burn crackers alone. Let them burn crackers under adult supervision.
- Watch children often and make sure they are safe
- Make sure children wear proper safety goggles and gloves while burning crackers.
- Never put crackers in your pocket. Careless smoking is one of the reasons for death of many during firework events
- If the crackers do not burn after igniting, do not try to examine. Instead, use a fresh cracker.
- Never try to ignite and burn crackers in your hands. Sometimes crackers can burst within few seconds while in the hand and can cause severe burns.
- If it is not needed avoid igniting aerial fireworks as the aerial fireworks can hit trees and wires.
- Do not burn noisy crackers – small children, babies and pets can get threatened. The impact of fear sometimes lives long.
- Never lit matches, agarabatti (essences) and lighter near unused crackers
- Do not collect and do not try making cracker by collecting unused or half burn crackers. It is highly dangerous.
- If crackers are taking time to burn then, diffuse them by pouring some water.
- Do not harm and throw crackers at people who are walking.
- Do not harm animals or stray dogs with crackers
- Keep first aid kits handy in case of emergencies.
Be safe. Stay safe and enjoy your Deepavali (Diwali) New year with family and friends.
Image credit: Image by PDPhotos from Pixabay (Free for commercial use)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 3, 2021