Pregnancy is precious for all women. During pregnancy what mother eats obviously becomes baby’s food too. If mother’s immune system is weak it affects unborn baby. To keep baby in best health mother should take care of her health. If mother eats foods that is allergic to body it might end up in complications. During pregnancy period certain fruits and foods not recommended for consumption due to the ingredients of fruits. These fruits and foods are nutrient rich and good for health but not recommended during pregnancy period. If you are pregnant then take note of these foods that could harm pregnancy.
Unwashed raw fruits: All unwashed raw fruits must be avoided during pregnancy. Unwashed fruits contain microbial infections and harm fetus. Wash fruits thoroughly, do not use soap or bleach to clean fruits. Soak in warm water for few minutes and rinse in fresh water. Peel the outer skin and then consume fruits.
- Papaya: Papaya traditionally used for abortion and it brings labor early and can cause miscarriage. Green papaya which is unripe and semi-ripe used in traditional medicine to apply on uterus to induce labor. Reason for this, papaya has certain chemicals that cause uterine contractions. The two chemicals in unripe papaya are latex – white liquid and papain an enzyme both can cause reactions in the form of contraction, stomach irritation and allergic reaction. It also increases bleeding risk and potential harm to baby. It might also cause fetal poisoning or birth defects. Did you know to induce periods in girls’ papaya is used as one of the remedy?
- Pineapple: Eating pineapple during pregnancy can only cause harm. It contains a chemical compound called bromelain that causes softening of the cervix leading to labor. Intake of pineapple definitely should be restricted during first trimester of pregnancy. In traditional medicines, pineapple juice is given to induce labor. It means pineapple should be avoided during pregnancy period.
- Grapes: The reason to avoid grapes is not just because of the chemical constitution also because of pesticide applications. If you see all varieties of grapes in market covered with white pesticide residues. These pesticides are not good for fetus and can cause birth defect. Washing grapes may not takeout the residues and once it enters mother’s body, naturally pesticide reaches growing baby. Avoid grapes for all nine months. Resveratrol is chemical present I grapes and it can be toxic to expectant mother. Resveratrol causes hormonal imbalance, stomach related problems and allergies.
- Tamarind: Pregnant women crave for tamarind. Little tamarind is okay to chew. However, too much tamarind increases risk of miscarriage due reduced progesterone by increased vitamin C. Too much vitamin C damages fetus cells and it results in complications.
- Unpasteurized milk: Boiled milk is good for pregnant women. Raw milk contains germs and microbes which can be harmful for baby’s growth. It may result in food infection, diarrhea and complications.
- Sesame seeds: Foods containing sesame seeds or dry sesame seeds must be avoided. Sesame seeds are used to stimulate uterine muscle and to induce period. In the first and second trimester it is better to avoid sesame seeds.
- Raw sprouts: Several raw sprouts like alfalfa, mung bean, clover and radish might harbor dangerous bacteria – Salmonella. Salmonella causes food infections and is a threat for pregnancy.
- Ajinomoto: Ajinomoto is also known as MSG and is present in Chinese foods. It is a form of food taste enhancer. During pregnancy if you are craving for Chinese foods, make sure there is no ajinomoto. It can cause heart and nerve problems.
In case you are fond of any of the above food and cannot resist eating, talk to your doctor before consuming any of these foods.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 8, 2019