Vegan and vegetarians obviously does not like to use egg when they prepare baked items like cake.
There are several alternatives for egg that one can chose as a replacement for eggs.
Egg replacements are needed for leavening, binding and to moisturizer the dishes.
Here are 15 such egg replacements one can try.
- Applesauce :Use 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce in place of one egg in most baking recipes. If all you have is sweetened applesauce, then simply reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe. Applesauce is also a popular healthy replacement for oil in many baked goods.
- Banana : Use 1/4 cup of mashed banana -from about half a banana when baking.
- Flax seeds :Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water until fully absorbed and viscous. Use in place of one egg.
- Vegetable oil :1/4 cup of vegetable oil can be substituted for one egg when baking. If you are not fond of oily or greasy dish then go with other alternative.
- Water, oil and baking powder: Whisk together 2 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of oil (like corn or vegetable oil) and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Use this in place of one egg.
- Chia Seeds : Use the same ratio as the flaxseed mix, and enjoy all the health benefits of chia seeds, which are like flaxseed.
- Aquafaba : It is nothing but bean juice — specifically the liquid that comes in can of chickpeas. It may not work for everything, but if your recipe calls for egg whites, whip up some aquafaba instead. For best results, use an unsalted variety.
- Tofu :Tofu is great for egg substitutions in recipes that call for a lot of eggs, such as quiches or custards. To replace one egg in a recipe, purée 1/4 cup of soft tofu. It’s important to keep in mind that although tofu doesn’t fluff up like eggs, it does create a texture that’s perfect for dishes that require eggs.
- Instant Mashed Potatoes :Instant mashed potatoes are another great ingredient for binding. Use 2 tablespoonful of mashed potatoes to replace one egg in recipes that are meant to be dense.
- Diet Soda: Use diet soda as a leavening agent. One can of diet soda can be used to replace two eggs in many cake recipes.
- Neat egg mix: Neat egg mix – this is name given to chia seeds and chick pea mix product to replace egg.
- Potato starch and arrowroot powder: These can be used for binding purposes in place of egg.
- Canned pumpkin or squash: These two add moisture to baking goods -cake, muffins and bread
- Nuts and fruits: Pulse one part of dried fruit (prunes, dates, raisins etc) and 2 parts of nuts in a food processor and add to a vegan pie crust.
- Mashed sweet potatoes: These can be good for binding and gives a taste for many savory recipes.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: June 22, 2017