Hydrogen peroxide is available in pharmacy and sometime in grocery stores in dark bottles. You will see a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in first aid kit too. It is helpful in cleaning wounds and prevents puss formation. It acts like bleach and is an ingredient in blonde hair dye products. Three percent (3%) hydrogen peroxide solution is useful for many purposes at home.
- Use as toilet bowl cleaner: To toilet bowl add half cup hydrogen peroxide and let the bowl soak in the solution for few minutes. Scrub and flush water.
- Shower cleaner: Mix hydrogen peroxide to rubbing alcohol in equal proportion. Spray to shower on all sides. Leave it for few minutes. Wash with water twice.
- Multi surface disinfectant spray: You can either use full strength or half strength hydrogen peroxide for cleaning various surfaces including countertop (not granite), cutting board, garbage cans, on wall infected with mold, sinks. Spray on the surface and let it soak for few minutes. Wash using water to see clean surfaces
- Cleaning toothbrush and hair brush: Soak brush in half strength hydrogen peroxide liquid ( use water for other half). After few minutes clean the brush in running water. You can clean bath sponge, body brush using hydrogen peroxide solution.
- It is a good whitening agent. Mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda at 1:2 ratio. Brush using the mix and rinse using warm water to get white teeth.
- Wash vegetables: Mix 1 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide in a liter of water. Use this mix to wash vegetables and give one or two more rinse in water to remove residues of hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak foot: To clean toe nail, reduce athlete foot symptoms soak fee in 1:1 water and hydrogen peroxide solution for 10 minutes.
- Nail whitener: Mix baking soda and peroxide to prepare paste (2:1 ratio). Apply the mix onto fingernails, leave it for 10-15 mins. Rinse with lukewarm water and apply moisturizer.
- Mouth wash: Swish mouth with water and hydrogen peroxide solution (1:1) for few seconds and spit.
- Carpet stain remover: Mix hydrogen peroxide, water (1:1) and add few drops of lemon essential oil. Shake well, spray on the stain. Wait for few minutes, using a dry cloth or rag clean the area!
- Yellow arm pit: Use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mix (1:1) or just hydrogen peroxide solution for this purpose. Apply in arm pit are of white shirt. Leave it for few minutes and wash the shirt.
- Do you know, hydrogen peroxide is also a remedy for cracked heel? For 2 cups hot water, add equal amount of hydrogen peroxide. Soak/immerse feet in the solution for about 30 mins. Dry the foot and using a pumice stone or foot file clean the feet to remove dead skin. Wash and apply lotion.
- Clean glass stovetops using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mix. Apply the mix, let it sit for ten minutes, wipe using water.
- Tub and tile cleaner: Mix baking soda (1/2 cup), dish soap (1.5 tsp) and hydrogen peroxide (1/4 cup). Mix the ingredients and spray on tile, tub or grout. This removes the hard water buildup and stains.
- Old copper vessels: Spray a mix of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and salt on to your antique copper, brass, or galvanized metal like iron. It gives a fresh look for the antique piece.
Caution: If your skin develops irritation or itches stop using hydrogen peroxide and talk to your doctor.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 4, 2021