Avocado comes in different shapes Pear shape to round shape and, color of avocados also varies.
Hass avocado also known as Alligator pears with its nubby skin is most popular variety. Inside green or dark green skin it contains yellowish green flesh.
Avocados are highly nutritious and rich in Vitamin K, folate, potassium Vitamin C, B5 & B6 and E.
In addition, it also contains Magnesium, iron, zinc, phosphorous, vitamin A.
One medium sized avocado supplies 160 calories with 2 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat and, rest of it carb and 3 grams fiber.
Fact is even though it is high in fatty acid content it supplies low level of cholesterol.
Health benefits of avocado are:
- Good for eye health
- Reduces heart conditions,
- Prevents bad breath
- Good nutrition for healthy skin
- It helps to control Vit K deficiency abnormal bleeding
- Reduces morning sickness in pregnancy
- Good for digestion and metabolism
- Protects liver and regulates indigestion
- Prevents osteoporosis
How to use avocado?
- Avocado with lemon juice: Add little paprika, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar to half cut avocado and scoop and eat.
- Avocado spread: To about 50g Avocado add 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp lemon juice and mash the flesh. Lightly toast the bread and spread mashed avocado. This is a replacement for butter.
- Avocado and tomato salsa: To one ripe fresh avocado add chopped 2 small tomatoes, ½ cup finely chopped onion, 1 chopped green chilli, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro. Mix all ingredients add little lemon juice. Chill for an hour and serve with bread or nachos
- Prepare guacamole: See the recipe here. Serve fresh cut vegetables with guacamole.
- Avocado dipping sauce: To one fresh avocado flesh, add ½ cup yogurt, ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, 2 Tbsp lemon juice and little salt. In a blender puree avocado with other ingredients. Transfer to a bowl and serve as a dip with fritters or chips.
- Avocado and mango topper: Dice two avocados and add 1 ripe mango, 1 cup tomato, ¼ cup chopped cilantro, 2 Tbsp onion, 1 Tbsp green chilli, 1Tbsp lime juice, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. In a bowl combine all ingredients and serve.
- As baby food: Avocado makes a great food for babies. Soft and creamy texture and mild taste is well suited for babies. Puree ripe avocado in a processor and milk to get creaminess.
- Avocado cucumber soup: Puree 12 ounce cucumber and, add 2 chopped Hass avocado, green chilli, little sugar and lemon juice. Blend the mix and add 2 cups water, 1 cup coconut milk and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl and season with salt and coarse pepper. One can add little ginger and cumin seeds to enhance taste.
- Avocado dip on spicy potato: Boil potato and remove skin. Cut boiled potato into round shape and season with mustard, red chilli powder (1 tsp), asafetida (pinch) turmeric, few chopped garlic cloves (6-8) and salt. Place avocado dip on potato and serve!
- Grilled avocado: Cut an avocado into half, remove seed. Apply lemon juice on avocado half and brush olive oil. Place the cut side down in grill and cook for couple of minutes. Season with pepper and salt.
Grandma’s Remedies: www.healthylife.werindia.com
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: August 2, 2022