People get angry for various reasons. Frustration, neglect, feeling of insignificant, irritation, stress, finance matters, failed relationship, carrier problem and many other reasons can lead to stress and anger. Some people constantly get angry for no reasons, and some get angry occasionally for different reasons. No matter what, anger can put us all in trouble.
Do you know a person who exhibits anger can reduce anger with help of herbs as well as by changing healthy diet? According to Ayurveda when a person suffers from aggravated pitta it has a negative effect on his or her behavior. Pitta balance is essential for a person to understand and stay calm at any situations. If it is out of balance, then the person might show impaired judgement that leads to anger.
By changing diet and using herbal treatment at home, one can balance pitta and keep calm. If a person has imbalanced pitta dosha and exhibits anger often these below remedies could help.
- Keep body cool. Do not expose body to hot water, sauna, or hot sun. Exposing to hot temperatures irritates mind and body and, the person eventually gets angry. When the weather is bit cool going for walk is good to bring down aggravated pitta.
- Diet should not include spicy, hot, sour foods. Reducing spice and salt in daily food is essential to reduce pitta. The other foods that aggravate pitta are caffeine, alcoholic drinks.
- Avoid oily and deep-fried foods. Eating such food increases calorie intake and increases lethargy. Feeling of lethargy could lead to irritation and anger.
Herbal home remedies for anger management:
- Drinking chamomile tea before going to bed, not only brings sound sleep also, reduces anger tension.
- Tulsi tea with rose petals – Prepare tulsi tea with rose petals at 1:2 combination by steeping both herbs in hot water and drinking 3 times a day.
- To tulsi and rose petals tea add chamomile – 1 part of chamomile, 1 part of tulsi leaves and 1 part of rose petals. Steep in hot water and drink three times a day.
- Apply half teaspoon of cow ghee on top of head and smear little inside nostrils. Inhaling natural ghee aroma helps to calm the mind.
- Crush 1 teas spoon roasted fenugreek, few dried curry leaves and gotukola dry leaves (Centella asiatica). Add this to melted ghee and mix well. Apply few drops of this herbal ghee mix on top of head to keep body cool. Consuming gotukola has positive effect on brain’s health.
- Another Ayurveda drink that helps to reduce and pacify pitta effect is made using grape juice. To a cup of grape juice add crushed 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, and ¼ teas spoon sandalwood powder. Mix well and drink. This preparation reduces disturbed feelings, anger and any burning symptoms that is troubling the stomach.
- If the anger is due to stress and anxiety, consider taking Ashwagandha. In powder form Ashwagandha can be taken in water or milk. It helps to get good sleep, reduces stress, anxiety and improves mood.
- Lavender tea: For balancing and soothing effect use lavender flower tea. Steep 1 teaspoon o of dried lavender flower in boiled water. Leave it for 5-7 mins and drink.
- Passiflora tea –also known as passionflower tea-improves sleep, mood and reduces body pain. Use dried Passiflora flower or Passiflora tea bags to steep in boiling water and drink.
Other ways to reduce anger:
Practice meditation: Guided meditation or any form of meditation will help to focus and bring calmness.
Yoga practice: Consider doing moon yoga, which has cooling effect. Yoga asanas that are considered as moon yoga asanas to reduce mood swings, to bring balance to mind are: Cow-cat pose, bridge pose, boat pose, Goddess pose, camel pose, cobra pose, garland or malasana, hanuman pose and half moon pose. These poses help to improve focus and bring sense of achievement while calming the mind.
Sometimes a person experience mood changes and feel anger because of medical conditions. Such conditions need proper diagnosis and anger management guidance. Pregnant and lactating women should not try herbal remedies without doctor’s advice.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 14, 2022