There are many foods that we aware of increase of cholesterol and health conscious people avoid and stay away from such foods. When it comes to cholesterol we only think about foods that either increase, decrease good and bad cholesterol. But what about the containers and non stick frying pan that we prepare foods? Research studies show that both pans and pots that we use or choose for cooking has significant effect on our health.
Yes, it is true! According to Howard Health Institute research our health and cookware that we use are not independent of one another!
Cookware affects our health
We all are conscious of our health and selective about the food that we eat. But our cookware could cause harm to our health.
When non-stick cookware is used, we should know that the non-stick materials are made of steel or aluminum and contains a chemical coating to make them non-stick. The coating applied on cookware when heated at high temperature releases the chemical coating in our food. The chemical called PFOA or perfluorooctanoic acid is a carcinogen substance. If you think that you are cooking organic vegetables and eating fiber food, also think about your cookware that is adding extra chemicals. We should be aware of several such cookware that we use at home.
Types of non-stick coating we should be aware of:
- Teflon coating- Teflon is not recommended for cooking due to several health reasons as it contains PFAO that has severe affect on our health.
- Titanium coating – Has aluminum with synthetic titanium fused in the coating material and is very much reactive.
- Diamond coating: Companies might say diamond coating is safe and there is no Teflon. But we should be careful because Teflon is a trademark of Dupont company, but diamond coating pans and pots contains polytetrafluoroethylene!
- In addition to above coatings beware of cooking spray that might claim low in calories but contains propellant substance that is also present in aerosol containers and made of propane, carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide
What happens when we cook non-stick vessels?
- Teflon flu: Teflon is one of the popular nonstick cookware. When we cook using Teflon, the breathing from the fumes expelled from high temperature can result in flu-like symptom called Teflon flu. Reason for this is the polluted air that is in the kitchen due to cooking using Teflon.
- Using such materials causes smaller birth weight of new born as the food particles with chemicals enters fetus during pregnancy.
- It increases cholesterol – chemicals entered in body elevates cholesterol. Studies reveal that that teens and children who have elevated total and LDL cholesterol were exposed to non-stick cookware and waterproof fabrics! (published in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine states).
- Inflammation of liver – to protect our system from toxic substances liver works hard and results in inflammation.
- Using non-stick pans can cause tumor and cancer of testicles, liver and pancreas (results were shown in rats). In humans those who worked with PFOA higher levels of bladder and kidney cancers.
- Causes abnormal thyroid functioning – which is due interference of chemicals in hormones and thyroid system.
Which are safe alternatives for non-stick pans?
- Stainless Steel: These vessels have aluminum or copper between stainless steel sheets. These are great for cooking because of great heat conductivity and safe for cooking food.
- Cast Iron: You want include traces of iron in system then go for cast iron. It is highly durable and safe at high temperatures unlike non-stick pans.
- Ceramic: Good for high temperature cooking. If you are buying decorative additions, make sure they are good for cooking purpose
Next time when you are cooking healthy food, consider cooking food in healthy pot.
For more reading visit:
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 6, 2019