Maqui berry from Chile is gaining popularity for all good reasons. It is marketed as “super fruit” for its many potential health benefits. It is considered as wealth of wellness because of its many health benefits including protection against free radical damage.
Maqui berry known as Aristotelia chilensis in Botanical world and commonly known as Chilean Wine berry. It is high in antioxidant contents and is harvested by native Mapuche Indians of Chile region. Maqui’s stems, leaves and purple berries are used medicinal purposes from thousands of years. For many years it was consumed locally for its fresh fruits and juice. Historically the value of Maqui berry contributed to the ability of Mapuche in fighting the Incas and Spaniards! It has been regarded as a symbol of health by the Mapuche due to its strong healing power. Now in market freeze dried fruits and powder are available. It is added to dietary supplements.
Reasons for Maqui is considered as super fruit is, the bright purple fruit has anthocyanins, ellagic acid and flavonoids in its berries that have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Antioxidant content is high in these berries. It is a remedy for many health conditions including chronic arthritis and cholesterol. Its anti-inflammatory quality helps in reducing inflammation that is a main symptom of many diseases including heart disease and diabetes!
Maqui has tart flavor with hints of blueberry, watermelon, acai and black berry. It is a popular ingredients in desserts, ice cream, yogurts and cereals.
Benefits of Maquai berry
Delphinidins is an important antioxidant present in maqui berry helps in defending body system against several conditions.
- Maqui berry extract helps in reducing dry eyes and increases tear fluid volume. Extract of these berries helps in reducing and curing age related macular degeneration is another disorder
- It is recommended for diabetic condition. Studies suggest that delphinidin rich maqui berry extract reduces blood glucose level.
- Berry extract is good for arthritis and body pain.
- Drinking maqui juice slows down aging process by improving skin health. Berry extract is used in many natural skincare products.
- It also stimulates immune system
- Berry extract also helps in weight loss.
- Consuming berries boost metabolism and increases body stamina. It aids in digestion.
- Antioxidant property of this plants assists in preventing cholesterol accumulation in blood.
- Berries also known to have antibacterial properties and reduces bacterial infections. When applied topically it reduces skin infection and improves skin health.
- Maqui also contains iron, calcium and vitamin C. Adding berry powder to smoothie is recommended by nutritionists to get all good health benefits.
- Traditional medicine uses Maqui in healing wounds, relieve sore throats and as analgesic.
- Consuming fruits and its extract support hair growth too!
Maqui berry is available in markets as fresh fruits, frozen fruits, concentrated juice, supplements, in powder form.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 16, 2019