Prediabetes occurs when the there is too much sugar in the blood. It means, elevated blood glucose (sugar) level that has not yet reached the threshold of Type 2 diabetes diagnosis. Prediabetes must be considered as a warning sign to take care of health more seriously than before. Lifestyle and certain medication help to manage blood sugar level and a person can avoid complications related to diabetes.
Symptoms of prediabetes is not obvious. A health screen with routine blood work will reveal the numbers to say whether a person is prediabetic or not. One of the signs of prediabetes is being overweight. And other reasons that are risks for prediabetes are: Obesity, heredity, diabetes during pregnancy, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglyceride and in woman polycystic ovary syndrome.
Prediabetes occurs when there is an imbalance in metabolism. After certain age the excess intake of carbohydrates and sugar liver will make more glucose. More glucose means more sugar in the blood which is harmful for the body.
Prediabetes diagnosis is done blood work. If the fasting blood sugar is between 100 and 125 mg per dL (normal is 70 and 99 mg per dL, diabetes is higher than 126 mg per dL). A1C test is common blood test also known as hemoglobin A1C and HbA1c test. A1c test results reflects average blood sugar level of an individual for the past 2 to 3 months. It measures the percentage of hemoglobin coated with sugar (or glycated). The higher the A1C number, the risk of developing diabetes is more. The fasting A1C level for prediabetes is between 5.7 and 6.4 per cent, which means a person as higher chance of developing diabetes in the future. The normal A1C level is below 5.7
Good news is, with well planned diet and exercise one can reverse the prediabetes before it is fully blown to type 2 diabetes. A healthy diet, healthy weight and regular exercise helps to bring back and maintain the blood sugar level.
A person who is diagnosed with prediabetes condition should follow proper diet, sleep and exercise. Everyday walk and exercise for an hour with proper, timely meal will help to reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
- Eat three meals everyday around same time.
- Say no to sugar and sweets
- As much as possible try to eat about the same amount at each meal – fill half plate with vegetable.
- Include protein – low fat – cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, low fat- milk, peanut butter, lentils
- Cut down on carbs -say no to starchy food and reduce amount of whole milk, whole milk yogurt, sweets, certain fruits
- Consume high-fiber foods: Get fresh vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes. Include high fiber leafy veggies as part of diet
- Eat less fat – cheese, butter, mayonnaise, cream, salad dressings. Use non fat or low fat milk. Instead of deep frying, go with alternate method- baking, broil, steam, grill the foods. Use less seasoning and oil in cooking.
- Get good sleep: Sleep is best medicine for many conditions. One of the reason for diabetes is stress and anxiety. Taking rest, going to be on time helps body to recover.
Following herbs will help in reducing blood sugar.
- Indian gooseberry – Amla: Consuming either the fresh amla fruit or drinking a glass of warm water with amla powder can help to reduce sugar level. Amla tastes bitter and it has polyphenols that are effective in assisting absorption of insulin.
- Turmeric : Turmeric contains antioxidants and curcumin that can bring sugar level and to more manageable level.
- Bitter gourd: It contains a lectin compound that acts as insulin and helps to move sugar out of blood and brings to cells for energy
- Fenugreek: Leaves or seeds of fenugreek helps to lower blood sugar by slowing the digestion process and absorption of carbohydrates.
- Aloe vera: Regular intake of Aloe vera (fresh gel or juice) stimulates secretion of insulin and helps to bring down sugar level.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon increases metabolism. Drinking luke warm water with one or two teaspoon of cinnamon powder dissolved in it in empty stomach is a remedy for diabetes. It imitates effect of insulin and transports glucose into cells from blood.
Contact your doctor before consuming any types of herbal medicine and get doctor advice. If the prediabetes condition does not improve in three months, your doctor may prescribe medicines to bring down sugar level.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: February 4, 2020