Honey is a natural bandage in our home remedies and it is considered as a remedy for various types of wounds. Reason for this is chemical nature of honey.
- Raw organic honey contains Hydrogen peroxide. It is antibacterial and fungicidal. Before invention of antibiotics and synthetic drugs, honey used to be the popular antibacterial remedy. Chemical make of honey is mostly sugar. It is hygroscopic, means attracts moisture if unsealed. In natural form honey is very low in moisture. Very few bacteria or microorganism can survive in honey. For honey to spoil it needs to provide hospitable environment for the microorganisms. Which honey does not. This is the reason honey has longer shelf life.
- When bees work on nectar they remove lot of moisture from nectar by drying it (by flapping their wings)
- With this the enzyme glucose oxidase present in bee’s stomach when mixed with nectar, it breaks down nectar into gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide acts against all invading microorganisms.
- Honey is extremely acidic with pH between 3 to 4.5. It kills anything that wants to grow.
- Darker the honey color more is antioxidant and they also contain phenolic and flavonoid contents.
Medihoney are bandages covered in honey manufactured by Derma Sciences!
Published by: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 12, 2017