- Both are sweeteners. They both contain glucose and fructose.
- While sugar processing many nutrient materials are destroyed including the organic acids, protein, nitrogen elements, enzymes and vitamins that are present in the sugar cane are destroyed.
- Honey a natural sweetener generally subjected to minimal heating. It has both antimicrobial and antioxidant properties which are not present in sugar.
- Honey is slowly absorbed in blood stream unlike sugar. Honey has healthier glycemic index. For sweetening purpose if take sugar – we need more sugar than honey. One Tbs of honey is 64 calories and Sucrose 46 calories. However, we need less natural honey to add into our food than sugar.
- Honey has more nutrients and active compounds that are more beneficial for humans.
*In diabetic patients both honey and sugar intake does not make much difference. Honey cannot substitute sugar.
Published by: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 12, 2017