Lemon gives various benefits for health whether used alone or in combination with other ingredients. Lemon is rich vitamin C and sour taste is good for congestion, cold, good for skin, good food preservatives, balances pH levels, boosts immune system, promotes healing of body from various conditions, hydrates lymph system, good for weight loss and it is a good diuretic. Lemon pickle is a delicious pickle that helps to regain the taste bud activity after fever and sickness.
- 3-4 big, fresh lemons
- 1/4 cup salt or crystal salt
- 1 Tbsp red chili powder
- 1 Tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 Tsp oil
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 3/4 Tsp mustard
- 1 Tbs Turmeric powder
- Wash and thoroughly wipe the lemons to rid of all moisture from outside.
- Remove the tips of lemon cut them in half and cut each half into bite sized pieces.
- Put 1/2 Tsp of salt in the container. Now add the lemon pieces in a layer on top, add more salt on top. Keep repeating until all lemon pieces are used up. Add little more salt on top of lemons.
- Close the lid. After 2 to 3 days, open the jar. You will notice the reduction in the quantity. Mix well and keep aside in a cool, dark place.
- For the next 4 to 5 days, every day using a clean and dry spoon, mix the lemon pieces well so that salt gets to all of them. By the 5th day, the pieces would have softened quite a bit.
- Now you can add spices and condiments – First add chilli powder.
- In a dry pan roast the fenugreek seeds until they turn light brown. Allow it to cool.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds to fine powder and add it to lemon pieces.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard. When mustard pops, add asafetida, turmeric powder and turn off the flame. When the seasoning has cooled down completely, add it to the pickle.
- Lemon pickle is ready to serve with any dishes including morning rice porridge, breakfast, afternoon lunch and evening dinner. It goes very well with bread, rotis, chapatti, idli.