Health effect of few artificial ripeners
- Calcium carbide: It is a corrosive and dangerous chemical that contains traces of arsenic and phosphorus hydride. Both these two chemicals witll cause diarrhea, vomiting, thrist, weakness and burning sensation in they system, cough, breathing problem and ulcer. Calcium carbide is also known to have carcinogenic property
- Ethephon: Even though the toxicity of ethephon is low, it can inhibit RBC and developmental defects.
- Ethylene: Can cause damage to neurological system, skin issues, breathing problem, memory loss and leads to prolonged hypoxia
- Acetylene: It can cause dizziness, headache, fatigue, tachycardia, nausea and vomiting
- Putrescine: Perivascular edema and moderate spongiosis, motor coordination issues.
- Carbon monoxide: Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. It affects oxygen carrying capacity. It causes significant damage to heart and central nervous system. It also has severe effect on fetus.
Image credit: FSSAI, India
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: July 24, 2019