Which are the common artificial ripeners
Calcium carbide stone and ethephon are widely used by the traders. Chemicals or agents that are used for ripening fruits early are artificial ripeners. Chemicals such as calcium carbide, carbon monoxide, potassium sulfate, ethephon, acetylene gas, putrisein, oxytocin, protoporphyrinogen, dihydrogen arthoposphate are few examples for artificial ripeners. These chemicals are used during preharvest, postharvest of fruits, during transportation, capping, storage etc.
- Calcium carbide: is used to ripen fruits like: Mangos, banana, apricot, papaya, plums etc.
- Ethephon: used for early maturity of wheat, coffee, cotton, pineapple, rice, cucumber, groundnut, tomato
- Ethylene: Promotes ripening in Tomatoes, banana, pineapple, dates, pears, apple, melon, mangoes papaya, avocado
- Putrescine: used as pre harvest ripener in Japanese plum fruit
- Aminoethoxyvinylglycine: Applied to apple fruits 3-4 weeks before harvest to delay fruit ripening and to reduce fruit drop.
- Carbon monoxide: Used in various fruits for ripening purpose
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: July 24, 2019