Avakkai (Cut Mango) Pickle: (Andhra and Tamil Nadu style)
- Raw green mangoes – 3 medium size, each cut into 6-8 pieces (sour variety) approx 4 cups
- Mustard seeds powder – 1 cup (sun dried- less than 1 cup mustard seeds)
- Red chili powder – 1 cup
- 2 Tbs fenugreek seeds
- Salt – 3/4 cup powdered white crystal salt
- Gingelly oil – 1 1/4 cups
- Methi seeds – 1 1/2 tsps
- Wash raw mangoes, remove any dirt and dry the mangoes.
- Wipe the mangoes with a cloth and cut them into pieces with the kernel intact.
- Grind the sun dried mustard seeds to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Grind the crystal salt to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Take a large wide vessel or bowl and add red chili powder, mustard powder and salt and mix well with clean, dry hand. Add fenugreek seeds and 3/4 cup oil and mix well. Add mango pieces and mix well, let the mixture coats the mango pieces *.
- Place the spice coated mango pieces in the jar. Now add remaining spice powder.
- Pour 1/4 cup oil on top and cover the pickle jar with the lid.
- After 4 days open jar and using a clean spatula mix the content. Pour 1/4 cup oil on top as the pickle needs to be covered in thin layer of oil. Cover the jar with lid. Let the pickle marinate for another 4 days.
- After 8 days recheck the jar and taste the pickle. If needed add little more salt. The mango pickle is ready for consumption.
- Serve avakkai with breakfast items or lunch and dinner items.
* If you are fond of Garlic, while preparing pickle add few cloves of garlic for the pickle.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 31, 2015
Write a comment