Appemidi is a variety of mango available in Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka. It is famous because of its unique fragrance, which remains for a longtime. It is has gained popularity nationally and internationally because of its taste. Appe is variety of mango and midi means tender mango.
- Appemidi mango – 100
- Salt- 750gms
- Red chilli powder -500gms
- Fenugreek- 4 tsp
- Mustard- 50 gm
- Asafetida – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper 1 and ½ Tbs
- Sesame oil – 5 Tbs
- Wipe the mangoes with a clean cloth. Take a few mangos at a time, coat them well with the salt, and keep them in clean dry container. Repeat this until the entire mangos are over. If there is any remaining salt it can be added on top of the mangoes
- After one week, remove the mangoes from the tub. It leaves the salt water. Boil this salt water for 20 to 25 minutes in high flame.
- Dry fry fenugreek, black pepper and asafetida. When they start popping, remove from fire and grind them .
- Add this mixture to the boiled salt-water when it become cold and add the red chilli powder. Mix it well. Now add the mangoes to this mixture.
- Pour 1-inch sesame oil above it and cover it with a lid. Tie a neat thick cloth over it and store it.
- After a week taste the pickle. If salt is less add little more salt and keep it for a day or two.
- Appemidi pickle is ready to serve with curd rice, idli, dosa and with lunch and dinner.