Looking for something healthy and fibrous spicy food? Try this chutney that can be prepared in 10-15 minutes.
What you need?
Ridge gourd outer skin: Two medium sized ridge gourds: Wash and peel the skin. (Inside pulp keep it aside and one can prepare spicy curry, saambar etc from the pulp)
- Mustard -1/2 tsp
- Hing (asafetida) – a generous pinch
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Chenna daal – 2 tb sp
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Grated coconut – 1 and half tbps
- Tamarind – small marble sized ball
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves -6-8
1) In a pan dry fry urad daal, chenna daal.
2) In a grinder add fried daal, chillies, grated coconut, tamarind, salt and little water and grind (slightly course grinding)
3) In a frying pan prepare seasoning: take little oil and to heated oil add mustard, curry leaves and little hing.
4) Add seasoning to grinded chutney.
One can have this with rice, chaptti, naan, bread, dosa or rice rotti.
*Similarly, one can prepare whole ridge gourd chutney. Instead of peeling the skin remove outer edeges of the gourd, cut into small pieces, and prepare chutney with remaining ingredients.
This chutney is good for digestive system and reduces constipation!
Image courtesy: Indianspice.com and other resources