During lockdown not just adults, children also suffer. Children like to eat something tasty and interesting. Like in other parts of the world, restaurants in your place might be closed. This is the time to introduce children our traditional, homemade snacks and sweets. Soji or Samolina also known as rava contains carbohydrates, protein, folate, iron, thiamin with some amount of fiber. It fills the stomach easily, quickly. You can prepare large quantities of sweets and saltines using fine Soji and store in airtight containers. When children are bored and asks for snack you can make use of readily available sweet and saltines to satisfy child’s crave for snacks. Samolina or soji biscuit and soji burfi are very easy to prepare evening snacks.
- Fine Soji (rava) – 1.5 cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Butter –3/4 cup
- Salt- As per taste
- Baking soda – little
- Ajwani – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Mix Soji and all-purpose flour by adding melted butter and baking soda.
- Add ajwani, sugar and continue mixing
- Roll the mix using a roller to ½ inch thick sheet and cut into whatever the shape you want – square, round or any artistic shape and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Turn on the oven to bake and place the baking sheet. Let the biscuits bake for 12-16 minutes.
- After baking, transfer biscuits to airtight container or serve hot biscuits with tea.
- Fine soji (rava) – 1 cup
- Grated coconut -1 cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – pinch
- Ghee (clarified butter)- 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cashew pieces – few
- Raisin – few
- Pieces of pista or almonds
- In a container mix Soji, grated coconut and sugar
- Place another container on medium heat and melt clarified butter. Add cashew and raisin – let cashew turn golden brown.
- Now add mixed Soji, grated coconut with sugar to clarified butter. Add cardamom powder.
- Continue mixing slowly so that there should not be any rava knots or lumps. After some time, you will notice, the mix will start separating from the vessel.
- Apply little ghee on a steel plate or baking sheet. Spread the hot mix on the plate or baking sheet. Using a knife cut the burfi sheet to your choice of shape – diamond, square etc.
- Sprinkle pieces of pista or almond on top of the burfi.
- After cooling, transfer the rava burfi into an airtight container.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 30, 2020