Sago or sabudana is made from raw tapioca roots. It is one of the favorite item among people who like to fast.
It is extracted from the stems of sago palm trees, then processed into small, circular pellets, which are sometimes referred to as pearls.
For infants and sick persons or during fasts sabudana is considered an acceptable form of nutrition.
It contains good amount of carbohydrates, protein and is low in fat. Sabudana is light on the system and tasty too.
Ingredients for Dosa:
- Sago (Sabudana) – 1 Cup
- Idli rice – 1 Cup (or white rice)
- Urad daal – ½ Cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Chenna daal – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per your taste
Recipe for Potato curry and red coconut chutney is below.
- Wash and soak sago, idli rice, urad daal, fenugreek seeds and chenna daal in 2 cups water for 4 to 5 hours
- Grind soaked ingredients using a grinder using same soaked water or add by adding fresh water. Grind the ingredients to masala dosa consistency.
- Add required amount of salt and keep the batter for fermentation at appropriate temperature. If the temperature is favorable for fermentation then keep it overnight on kitchen counter top or use oven by setting the temperature between 78-83 F and leave it overnight. Place a plate beneath the vessel in case batter overflows.
- Next day, remove the batter and stir it once or twice.
- Heat a dosa pan or cast iron pan on medium heat. Pour a ladle of batter on center of the pan and spread it thin. Put little oil around and on the dosa batter.
- Cook both sides of the dosa. Before removing dosa from the stove apply ½ tsp of red cocounut chutney on dosa and place a Tbs of potato curry at the center. Fold and serve hot dosa.
- Serve hot dosa with potato curry, sambar or red coconut chutney.
Potato curry recipe: Boil 4-5 potatoes, peel the skin. In a deep vessel add 2 Tbs oil. When the oil is heated, add 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp grated ginger, few curry leaves and chopped onion (1/2 cup). Add salt and turmeric powder. Cook onion and now add smashed potato. Mix well on low flame. Turn off the flame and add 2 Tbs chopped cilantro and little lemon juice. Potato curry is ready for serving with dosa.
Red coconut chutney: This chutney is easy to prepare. Dry fry 1 Tbs of chenna daal, 1 inch tamarind, 6-8 red chillis together. Remove and allow it to cool. Grind these fried ingredients with 1 cup of grated coconut by adding ¼ cup water. Add salt as per your taste while grinding. Transfer chutney to a vessel and add seasoning on top. For seasoning – heat 2 tsp oil, add mustard, hing and few curry leaves.