Recipe by: Mamatha Anil (http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.in/)
The curry tree is a tropical to sub-tropical tree in the family Rutaceae which is native to India and Sri Lanka. Curry leaves are natural flavoring agents with a number of important health benefits, which makes your food both healthy and tasty along with pleasing aroma. They contain various antioxidant properties and have the ability to control diarrhea, gastrointestinal problems such as indigestion, excessive acid secretion, peptic ulcers, dysentery, diabetes and an unhealthy cholesterol balance. They are also believed to have cancer-fighting properties and are known to help protect the liver. Curry leaves are good for hair growth. Chemical constituents present in curry leaves include carbazole alkaloids are responsible for antioxidant properties of this plant species.
Curry leaves chutney recipe :
- Curry leaves( Karibevu ) 1 cup
- Grated coconut 1/4 cup
- Chana dal 2-3 tsp
- Toor dal 2-3 tsp
- Urad dal 2-3 tsp
- Green chilies 3
- Tamarind lemon size
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Mustard 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida pinch
- Wash curry leaves and set aside. Soak tamarind in water.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, fry cumin seeds, toor dal, chana dal, urad dal, green chilies and grated coconut on low flame. Switch off the stove and transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan fry curry leaves until they are crispy. Switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- Take all the fried ingredients,tamarind extract, salt and little water in mixer and blend into smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and asafoetida. Add ground paste and water. Let it cook for 1 minute. Switch off the stove. Serve with dosa, idli or Rice.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: February 29, 2016