Hummus is a famous, traditional Middle Eastern dish and commonly served with pita bread. It is made of chickpeas. Garbanzo beans is another common name for chickpeas in Western market. Chickpeas available cooked in cans in salt water. One can use these chickpeas or soak dry chickpeas to prepare dishes. Hummus being so popular because of its somewhat bland taste is available in market with different additional ingredients – cilantro, garlic, bell pepper, mint hummus etc. Roasted red bell pepper hummus is slightly darker color and has a tangy taste to it. It is easy to prepare.
Chickpeas serve plant based protein in good quantity and is a good replacement for meat. It also known to contains less calories and good for heart health. It has good fiber content. It also supplies iron, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K all contribute to building a proper body structure and helps in overall health.
Recipe for Roasted bell pepper hummus
- Chickpeas (cooked) – 1 cup
- Cilantro leaves – 1 Tbs
- Parsley leaves – 1 Tbs
- Red pepper – 1 medium size
- White sesame seeds – 1 Tbs
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 Tbs
- Olive oil – 1 Tbs
- Garlic clove – 1 or 2
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as required
- Soak chick peas till they expand. It might need overnight soaking or 8 to 10 hours soak.
- Cook soaked chick peas in pressure cooker, drain water and keep aside
- On medium heat / flame, burn (roast it using tong ) the red pepper until skin turns slightly black on all side. Open and remove seeds. Cut bell pepper into small pieces.
- Roast sesame seeds on low flame.
- In a food processor or mixer puree chick peas and add roasted bell pepper, cilantro, parsley, garlic cloves, lemon juice, roasted sesame seeds, cumin powder, olive oil, red chili powder and salt.
- Grind all ingredients until it becomes smooth and fluffy.
- Transfer the content into a bowl and keep in refrigerator for an hour or so.
- Before serving sprinkle little chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve red bell pepper hummus with pita bread, bread, roti, veggies like cucumber, carrot, celery or give with crackers.
It is a good side dish or dip for lunch items too!
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: December 26, 2017