Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is one of the healthiest food recommended by nutrition experts. It is gluten free and high in protein. It contains nine essential amino acids and supplies high amount of fiber, magnesium, B-vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. All these good benefits made quinoa to add in the list of “super foods”. For Inca empire Quinoa was an important crop. Inca people referred to it as the “mother of all grains” and believed it to be sacred. There are three main types of quinoa available in market – white, red and black. Even though technically it is not a grain, it still counts as a whole grain food. All varieties of quinoa have similar values. One cup of quinoa gives 222 calories, with 39 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat. It also contains a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Try the gluten-free Quinoa pulav today for a change.
- Quinoa 1 cup
- White rice ½ cup (sona masoori or basmati)
- Beans, Carrot, Brocoli, fresh/frozen corn ( ¼ cup each)
- Fresh/Frozen Green peas ½ cup
- Onion 1 medium size
- Ginger minced 1 tsp
- Garlic minced 1tsp
- Green chillies 4
- Mint chopped 1 cup
- Cilantro chopped 1 cup
- Cloves 2
- Cinnamon small piece
- Peppercorns 4-5
- Cardamom 1
- Black cardamom 1
- Black cumin ½ tsp
- Aniseed small piece
- Bay leaf 1
- Powdered black cardamom and cloves ¼ tsp (home made)
- Badshah Biryani Pulav masala ½ tsp
- Yogurt/ Curd 1-2 tsp
- Lemon juice 3-4 tsp
- Water 3 cups
1. Wash and cut the vegetables. Keep aside.
2. Wash the quinoa and rice 2 times and soak for 30 minutes in 3 cups water.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom, black cardamom, aniseed, black cumin and bay leaf. Fry them.
4. Add green chillies fry, add chopped onions fry, add minced ginger and garlic fry.
5. Add mint and some cilantro fry. Add cut vegetables and salt. Cook for few minutes. Add green peas and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add soaked quinoa, rice and the water in which it is soaked. Add yogurt, mix well. Add balck cardamom and clove powder, add biryani pulav masala mix well.
7. Add lemon juice, remaining cilantro and salt. Cook for few minutes in low to medium heat then cover the lid and cook in medium heat till 1 or 2 whistle.
8. Quinoa pulav is ready to serve. Serve with Raita.
Recipe by: Mamatha Anil @ http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: October 24, 2016