The most popular detox dish in Ayurvedic system is khichadi (or khichari). We all know that rice and dal khichari made in ghee is very easy to prepare and has lot of benefit for the body. Some people have hard time to digest rice and dal combination. An alternated khichadi recipe has arrived in recent years and gaining lot of popularity. Khichadi made out of combination of quinoa and moong dal has gotten huge popularity in recent years in many countries. A healthy and nutritious, balancing dish is this khichadi – recipe is here for you.
Ingredients: (2-3 servings)
- 1 cup Quinoa (preferably soaked for 3-4 hrs)
- 1 cup split Moong dal or moong beans (preferably soaked for 2-3 hrs)
- 1 cup of assorted veggies (colorful peppers, zucchini, onion, avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tsp EV Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin and Mustard Seeds
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Asafoetida (hing) powder
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli powder (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed Lime/Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- approx. 2-4 cups of Water
Wash dal and quinoa together two or three times. Heat ghee and mustard seeds in a large saucepan on medium heat until seeds begin to pop. Then add the water, add the quinoa, dal, and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile cook veggies on low-medium heat. Stir veggies continuously. When the veggies look almost done, add the rest of spices. (cumin, ginger, turmeric, chili powder and hing).
Cover and simmer until both dal and quinoa are soft, about a half hour, adding additional water as necessary. The cilantro leaves can be added before serving. You can vary the spices according to your liking. Before serving add little lemon juice, mix khichadi and serve.
Benefits of Kitchadi:
- Balance metabolism: Quinoa and mung dal
- Blood and liver cleanser : Quinoa
- Aids in weight loss : Quinoa and vegetables
- Balances Vata, Pitta, and Kapha: Vegetables that bring balances in the body based on your conditions can be added to this khichadi.
- Vata: peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, coconut milk
- Pitta: zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli, celery
- Kapha: zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli, celery