Carambola, Bimbili or star fruit contains Vitamin C. It is good source of fiber and helps to reduce chronic inflammation. Eating star fruit once a while helps to improve metabolism, reduces anemia and promotes skin rejuvenation and helps night sleep. It is a low-calorie fruit and promotes weight loss.
Fruits are about 5-15 cm long and when sliced looks like star. Unripe fruit is green or light green and rich in juice. Taste of the fruit ranges from sour to sweet. Apart from eating raw fruits one can prepare jam, chutney and sweet curry using bimbili fruits. Star fruit chutney is a simple vegan recipe and chutney can be served with rice, chapati etc.
Ingredients For chutney:
- Starfruits -3
- Dry Red Chilli-2
- Turmeric Powder-1/4 tsp
- Jaggery powder – 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Select un-ripened starfruits for chutney making. Wash and cut them to thin slices.
- Heat a Tbsp oil on medium heat, add red chili, urad dal, turmeric powder and star fruit slices. Fry them.
- Remove the fried star fruit from heat source, allow it to cool.
- Add jaggery powder and salt and grind to a paste.
- Season chutney using, curry leaves, mustard, and asafetida. Transfer seasoning to start fruit chutney.
- Serve star fruit chutney with rice, chapati, idli, paratha or bread.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 6, 2022