Recipe by: DEEPIKA MEHTA (Healthylife.WerIndia.com Diwali Recipe contest winner)
Bottle gourd belongs to cucumber family. In Hindi it is called Lauki. According to Ayurveda Lauki has many health benefits. People who suffer from Vata and pitta must consume this to reduce the effect of vata and pitta. Consumption of lauki helps to lose the stubborn weight. Lauki (bottle gourd) is less appreciated vegetable. It also replenishes the loss of water during diarrhea, maintains healthy heart and helps during indigestion. According to Ayurveda it also has cooling effect on the body.
Lauki burfi is an easy, light and simple dish and has three main, basic ingredients.
Ingredients: Gaurd/loki, clarified butter/ ghee and condense milk, Cardamom powder, almonds and silver leaf( optional) for garnishing.
Loki- 1 kg
Ghee – 2-3 tbs
Condense milk 300/ 400gms- ( 1 tin)
Cardamom powder-: 1/2 tsp
Silver leaf -1 PC
Green color – 4 drops (optional)
1. Wash, peel and grate Loki. Use the thinner side.
2. Heat ghee and put Loki. Cook until all the water evaporates and the ghee gives a nice shine to the Loki.
3. Pour condensed milk. Adjust sweetness to taste. I used around 300 gms as I do not like it too sweet.
4. Keep stirring and let it form into a ball.
5. Sprinkle cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Grease a tray/ thali or a square plastic box and to set the burfi.
7. Empty the contents in the tray and spread it evenly with the help of a spatula.
8. Cut almond slivers and sprinkle on the top
9. Put silver leaf. Leave to set.
10. Once the mix set cut burfi into squares and serve.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: December 28, 2015