It is very easy to prepare Apple pickle. If you find green apple, get couple of them and prepare the pickle. Apple pickle goes well with Indian breads or rotis. There are many varieties of Indian roti recipes one can venture. One of the popular Indian roti which has slight spice into it is missy roti or besan roti. With slight modification of ingredients, you can make missy roti little more interesting to eat. Add more wheat flour and less besan and try this roti recipe. Serve the roti with little sour-sweet apple pickle and yogurt.
Spicy missy roti recipe:
- Wheat flour- 1.5 cup
- Gram (Besin) flour- 1/2 cup
- Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Asafetida- pinch
- Cumin- 1 tsp
- Grated ginger- ½ tsp
- Cilantro – finely chopped 2 Tbsp
- Methi leaves – chopped 2 Tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking oil – 1 Tbsp
- Knead a slightly stiff dough by adding all ingredients, cover with wet cloth. Leave it for an hour.
- After an hour prepare medium lemon size balls.
- Roll the balls to chapathi thickness.
- Place a tava on medium heat and bake/roast rotis.
- Apply ghee or butter and serve hot rotis with apple pickle and yogurt
Apple pickle recipe:
- Crispy green apples – Two medium sizes
- Oil -One Tbsp
- Mustard – One tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida – Pinch
- Fenugreek seeds – Few (10-5)
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Salt -To taste
- Wash and cut the apples to 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- On a frying pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. As mustard seeds cracks add fenugreek seeds. Turn off the heat.
- As the oil continue to cool down add turmeric, asafetida and chilli powder.
- Add this mix to apple pieces, add salt and mix well.
- Store the pickle in airtight bottle. Remember to consume this pickle within few days and storing this for a longer time will spoil the pickle.
- This pickle is slightly sweet – sour with tangy taste. One can have with soft rotis, bread, yogurt rice and as side taste dish.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: April 15, 2020