During lockdown people are becoming more creative and trying new recipes. On Social media you must be seeing images about a “new” creamy coffee – Dalgona coffee! All over social networking and media, people are considering #Dalgonacoffee challenge and uploading their creations. Fluffy coffee beverage that is popping up on social media is a new trending topic!! Yes, images are impressive and mouthwatering. Dalgona coffee looks delightful and fluffy to eyes.
Story of Dalgona: Dalgona coffee named after Korean toffee candy “Dalgona” by South Korean food bloggers. It was a a popular South Korean 1970 and 80’s coffee even before McDonald’s arrived. It was created somewhere in 1950’s as a confectionery to local children by US army personnel.
Dalgona used to be a popular street food “honeycomb toffee” in South Korea. Dalgona is made by mixing water and sugar until the liquid turns slightly yellow. Adding baking soda makes the liquid breaks down and carbond dioxide releases. The liquified sugar puffs up and becomes hard, light and then crunchy! On South Korean streets Dalgona used to be sold as large lollipops with different shapes and it was supposed to be eaten without breaking the shape in the middle.
This year during lock down period Dalgona gained more popularity. It can be prepared at home using not just coffee, by using Assam tea, cocoa powder and coffee mix or your choice of instant coffee powder too. At the end it might look familiar to you like espresso.
Dalgona coffee recipes: What you need?
- Instant coffee
- Hot water
- A hand mixer or whisk
- Milk or whipping cream
- Ice cubes (for cold Dalgona)
Type 1: Hot Dalgana coffee
- Measure equal amounts of instant coffee, sugar, and hot water.
- Pour the ingredients into a bowl. The water should be hot or boiling to help the coffee and sugar dissolve.
- Add milk or whipping cream and whip using a hand mixer or whisk thoroughly
- Your Dolgana coffee is ready to drink
Type 2: Chilled Dolgana Coffee
- Take a bowl and mix equal quantities of coffee powder, sugar and hot water.
- Use a whisker or blender to blend coffee mixture until it is frothy and creamy.
- Take 2 coffee mugs and add few ice cubes. Pour cold milk in the mugs and add whipped coffee over it.
- Serve chilled Dalgona coffee!
Enjoy Dalgona coffee and share your thoughts with us!
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: April 8, 2020