Lord Ganesha is loved by all and Ganesha Chaturthi is celebrated this week. On this auspicious day devotees offer various types of food to Lord Ganesha. One of the traditional sweet that is offered to Ganesha for naivedya is Kadabu (or somasi). It is a delicious sweet dish containing jaggery and coconut.
- ¼ cup All purpose flour or Maida
- 1 cup rava (coarse wheat)
- 1 – 2 Tbs Ghee
- 1 cup Grated cocounut
- ¾ cup Jaggery
- Little Cardamom powder
- Poppy seeds – 1 or 2 tsp
- Mix rava, all purpose flour with ghee. Remove clumps. Add little water and prepare dough. Dough should be not thin. Knead, cover with a lid and keep it aside for half an hour.
- To prepare hoorna: Powder jaggery and transfer to a pan. Place pan on low heat and dissolve jaggery. Add grated coconut and cardamom powder and mix well. Turn of the flame.
- Roast poppy seeds and add to jaggery, coconut mix.
- Prepare small dough balls and roll them to small rotis (slightly larger than your palm size)
- Place one or two Tbsp of jaggery-coconut mix (hoorna) in the center of rotis and fold the roti.* Seal the edges by applying very little water using your fingertips. Make sure edges are sealed properly. (If not, while frying kadabu will open up releasing contents to oil).
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Release kadabu in the oil and fry to golden brown color
- Offter hot kadabu to Lord Ganesha as naivedya and celebrate the festival.
- One can use kadabu mold to fill and fold the kadabu.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: September 10, 2018