When you are in India, if you visit South Indian states you must try this breakfast item “idli – vada cambo”.
It means if you are eating in a restaurant generally they serve two breakfast items together – idli and vada. Both these breakfast items are very delicious and is favorite of all.
Idli is considered as one of the most healthiest breakfast item due to its well-balanced nutrients combination.
It contains balanced amount of protein, carbohydrate and fat in the form of blackgram and rice. Fermented idli is naturally probiotic and a powerhouse for the stomach. It keeps digestive system in good condition.
Vada is another delicious item one should taste. It is a savory fried snack and contains good amount of protein because of black gram.
Vada occupies a special place in several different occasions – for offerings to various traditional ceremonies vada is a must in Indian households. It is favorite snack item of children and everybody loves to eat vada.
Try Idli-vada cambo today!
Recipe for vada
- Urd daal (split black gram) – 1 cup
- White rice – 1/4 cup
- Coconut pieces -1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Black pepper -1 tsp
- Green chilies – 4 to 5
- Cooking soda – A pinch
- Ginger – 2 inches ginger
- Chopped coriander -1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 strings
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak urd daal and rice for 3 hours.
- Coarse grind with less water (1/4 cup) – to get soft vadas grind the batter with just enough water to make soft but not watery dough. When you put the batter on your palm, batter should hold its shape.
- Do not ferment the dough as fermented dough takes more oil. Instead, after adding all the ingredients to dough fry the vadas.
- In a deep pan heat oil to medium heat. (If oil is too hot vadas will turn brown soon but inside content will not cook).
- Grease a plastic sheet with oil. Take a bowl of water wet your hands and place a portion of dough over your palm. Make a hole in center and flatten it to round shape (donut shape). Then drop it slowly in heated oil.
- Deep fry until vada turns to golden brown color on both sides.
- Place them over paper towel to drain excess oil.
Soft Idli recipe:
- Idli rice – 3 cups
- Urad daal- 1 cup
- Thin beaten rice – 3 tsp
- Salt- little ( don’t add too much salt)
- Wash and soak idli rice and urad daal overnight in water or minimum 6 hours
- Next day morning or after 6 hours, coarse grind the mixture and prepare batter. While grinding add thin beaten rice and continue to coarse grind.
- Remove the batter and add salt, mix well
- Ferment the batter at good temperature – if you are using oven, pre heat and turn it off and keep the batter inside the oven. If not, keep the batter on kitchen counter top where there is enough amount of heat is available for batter to ferment.
- After good fermentation, batter will come up. Take idli stand and pour idli batter into idli cups
- Steam cook idli for 10 to 15 minutes. Using a spoon poke the idli to make sure it is cooked inside.
Serve hot idli vada with sambar and coconut chutney !!
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: October 8, 2018