Worldwide people believe that Lord Ganesha removes obstacles in our life. Ganesha Chaturthi will be celebrated everywhere next week and to celebrate people cook various types of dishes. Apart from kadabu (kolakatte), modaka and numkins people also offer coconut poli or holige to Lord Ganesha. Holige or poli is coconut and jaggery stuffed flat bread and a festival specialty in South of India.
If you wish to prepare poli, here is simple recipe for you.
- All purpose floor – 1 cup
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Grated Jaggery – ½ cup
- Fresh grated Coconut – ½ Cup
- Powdered cardamom – 2
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
(Preparation time: 1 hour)
- Add all purpose flour and turmeric powder in a mixing bowl. Add little oil and knead the dough.
- Now, add little water and prepare a soft dough. Consistency should be close to chapati/roti dough. Keep it aside for couple of hours.
- In a pan add 3 spoons of water and add jaggery. Heat it under medium flame. As jaggery melts, add coconut and ghee. Mix well using a spoon.
- When the contents start thickening add cardamom powder, poppy seeds and mix well. Remove the puran from the heat source and allow it to cool down.
- Take the dough and make small balls. Flatten the balls using your palm and roll to a small size.
- Place a portion of the coconut puran in the center of the rolled dough and cover/close it from all the corner. Do not fill excessive puran (otherwise, when you roll further puran will leak out of the dough).
- Roll the stuffed puran to a flat bread by dusting little flour to chapati size.
- Transfer it to a tava on medium heat and cook on both sides.
- Offer it to Ganesha and serve to family/friends with melted ghee or coconut milk!
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: September 1, 2016