Have you ever tried using jackfruit seeds in your dishes? If not, try this delicious recipe that contains yellow cucumber and jackfruit seeds. Jackfruit can weigh between 10 and 100 pounds and contains hundreds of seeds that are rich in protein, potassium, calcium, and iron — all of which are important for bodily growth. It can be dried and stored or can be preserved in salt water too. There are many ways to eat jackfruit seeds. One cannot eat jackfruit seeds without cooking. Either you can roast them in traditional stoves or pressure cook them after few hours of soaking. Either way it tastes delicious. This traditional recipe requires combination of a vegetable and jackfruit seeds. Cucumber is the best combination that gives a heavenly taste for this curry.
Next time after eating jackfruit do not throw the seeds, store it and try this curry. It can be side dish for roti, chapati, idli, dosa and best is to mix it with white rice and have.
- Yellow cucumber medium size- 1
- Jackfruit seeds 1 1 cup
- Coconut (grated) ½ – 1 cup
- Toor dal (Pigeon pea) ¼ cup
- Tomato medium size -1 (optional)
- Onion medium size- 1 (optional)
- Green chillies 3-4
- Garlic cloves 4-5 (optional)
- Curry leaves- 1 strand
- Tamarind -grape size
- Red chilli powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds -¼ tsp
- Chana dal -¼ tsp
- Urad dal -¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 5-10
- Asafoetida- pinch
- Jaggery (powdered)- 1tsp
1. Remove the outer skin of jackfruit seeds. Soak it overnight and pressure cook with little salt (it needs 7-8 whistles)
2. Wash and cut the cucumber and discard the seeds. Cut into pieces 1.5 inch pieces. Pressure cook with little salt and water.
3. Wash and soak toor dal for 1 hr and pressure cook.
4. Soak the tamarind and extract the juice.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan, add chana dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. Fry them. Add green chillies, fry. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic and onions fry them.
6. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder. Mix well.
7. Add grated coconut and mix well. Switch off the stove. Let it cool.
8. After cooling grind them along with tamarind extract and water into smooth paste (masala).
9. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and asafoetida. Add the ground paste (masala) and little salt, let it boil. Once it starts boiling add chopped tomato. Cook for few minutes. Add cooked jackfruit seeds, yellow cucumber and toor dal. Mix well. Add jaggery powder and cook for another 5 minutes in low heat.
10. Curry is ready. It goes well with rice.
Recipe by: Mamatha Anil @http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: September 13, 2016