One single medium size jackfruit contains nearly 200 seeds that are packed with several nutrients. Jackfruit is much appreciated around the world because of its taste and nutrients. One jackfruit can fulfill 4-5 people stomach! Hence it is cultivated in many parts of the world. Jackfruit seeds also have many culinary applications.
Roasted jackfruit seeds are used in nut mix, desserts, pappad and other snacks. It contains protein, carbohydrates, no fat, riboflavin, thiamine, magnesium and phosphorus. Seeds supply Vitamin B in the form of thiamine and riboflavin. Seeds are good for gut health as they promote gut bacteria with fiber and resistant starch.
Jackfruit seeds milkshake can be prepared by using dry or fresh seeds. If you are vegan, then you can replace milk with almond or coconut milk.
Jackfruit seeds milkshake
- Jackfruit seeds – 6-8
2. Jaggery – 2-3 small ones
3. Poppy seeds -1/2 tsp
4. Milk/coconut milk/almond milk – 2 cups
5. Cardamom powder – little
How to prepare?
- Remove outer coat /skin of jackfruit seeds. The outer coat will be papery/ plastic like and easy to remove.
- Wash the seeds and smash or cut seeds into two pieces. Pressure cook seed pieces with one cup water.
- Jackfruit seeds are hard and takes little time to cook. If you are using fresh seeds four whistles are enough. For dry seeds you need to give one or two more whistles.
- After cooking the seeds remove from the heat and allow them to cool. Retain the water that you used for cooking the seeds.
- Take cooked jackfruit seeds, little poppy seeds, cardamom and jaggery in a blender. Use the water that you used for jackfruit seeds cooking and grind the contents to smooth paste. If you see few chunks, leave it behind as it gives a nutty taste for the drink.
- Add milk (cold or normal temperature- your preference) or coconut milk or almond milk, blend the content one more time to get milkshake.
- Transfer jackfruit seed milkshake to serving glass. Cut banana into thin round shape, add 3-4 pieces on top.
- Enjoy nutritious jackfruit seed milkshake.
Attibutions: Gharouni, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 27, 2020